Siphon Gas?

-

charger426

Reaction score
So I didn't know siphoning gas was still a thing but I lost about 8 gallons over night from my Dart. No leaks not drips and I went from around Full to just above a 1/4 tank. Thought it might have been my gauge but it took a little more than 8 gallons to fill up. I put maybe a mile or two on the tank I had in it. I stuck the locking gas cap I bought a couple of year ago for it.

Anyone else have gas siphoned out of their car? I thought stealing gas stopped years ago....guess not. Best part is we have a cop that lives across the street that has a fully marked car.

That's typical evaporation of today's gas mix....

I had a problem with gas being stolen out of my punt I always carry a spare 5 gal can with me .they would steel the gas and put the can back so I filled the can with gas and 2 quarts of corn surup a couple days later this young guys sea doo was broke down and his car was broke down on the side of the road . I drove by him laughing and waveing never lost anymore gas after that .

I had a problem with gas being stolen out of my punt I always carry a spare 5 gal can with me .they would steel the gas and put the can back so I filled the can with gas and 2 quarts of corn surup a couple days later this young guys sea doo was broke down and his car was broke down on the side of the road . I drove by him laughing and waveing never lost anymore gas after that .

Nice!

Here's what you do. Set an old junk lawn mower outside with a full 5 gal can of Diesel next to it. You will see your culprits car sitting near your house. Jog by it with a spring loaded center punch and poke the windshield.

I have a feeling it was the kids that were riding around on some mini bikes. Rather odd timing that the first nice day we have 2 mini bikes riding around with a bunch of kids hanging off of them and then I have some gas go missing.

are you sure you put the gas in the tank ?
because I'm starting to loose stuff, and it is NEVER where I thought I put
I thought I put my glasses on the nightstand, find them in the bathroom, thought I put my phone in my pocket, turns out it is still in the car

I already spent 20 minutes looking for my glasses with my wife . She looked at me and said your wearing them. And thats the truth. Usually I blame her for everything. That day I kept my mouth shut

Top off the tank, check for leaks, and see if it happens again. Your sending unit could be acting up. The gas gauge in my Dart has done weird things before.

If your gas is getting stolen, I like the diesel and windshield punch idea.

are you sure you put the gas in the tank ?
because I'm starting to loose stuff, and it is NEVER where I thought I put
I thought I put my glasses on the nightstand, find them in the bathroom, thought I put my phone in my pocket, turns out it is still in the car

Yeah I'm sure :) Use an app to track gas mileage and other car things (oil changes, filter changes, etc).

My gas just evaporates away. Really. will take a week to lose that much .

Years and years ago, in a previous life, I sold auto parts. Some of the area was experiencing a "rise" in vandalism, burlary, and gas thefts, which means about 4 teenagers were running loose.

Some elderly woman came in and bought a locking cap, and one of those anti-siphon springs. She asked me "was there anything else I can do?"

I guess I really depressed her. Didn't mean to LOL

I told her "well you can only do so much, they can always crawl underneath and poke a hole in the tank."

Man she looked depressed!!!

Years and years ago, in a previous life, I sold auto parts. Some of the area was experiencing a "rise" in vandalism, burlary, and gas thefts, which means about 4 teenagers were running loose.

Some elderly woman came in and bought a locking cap, and one of those anti-siphon springs. She asked me "was there anything else I can do?"

I guess I really depressed her. Didn't mean to LOL

I told her "well you can only do so much, they can always crawl underneath and poke a hole in the tank."

Man she looked depressed!!!

The sad part is thats the first thought that went through my head when I put the locking cap on. Like now that I've stopped them from the gas cap they could cut the fuel hose going to the motor. HATE THIEVES!!!

A long time ago my Dad caught some guy that had cut the lock off of our storage tank and was starting to walk off with a five gallon can of gas.
He held that guy at shotgun point all night and made him split firewood until the sun came up, and let him have the gas.

come on - tell us about the part where you did the 4 long burn outs :burnout:and the test hits.... come on... no one here will hold it against you... :poke:
So I didn't know siphoning gas was still a thing but I lost about 8 gallons over night from my Dart. No leaks not drips and I went from around Full to just above a 1/4 tank. Thought it might have been my gauge but it took a little more than 8 gallons to fill up. I put maybe a mile or two on the tank I had in it. I stuck the locking gas cap I bought a couple of year ago for it.

Anyone else have gas siphoned out of their car? I thought stealing gas stopped years ago....guess not. Best part is we have a cop that lives across the street that has a fully marked car.

A long time ago my Dad caught some guy that had cut the lock off of our storage tank and was starting to walk off with a five gallon can of gas.
He held that guy at shotgun point all night and made him split firewood until the sun came up, and let him have the gas.

This I like... Some old school discipline!
If the splitting wood wasn't enough maybe the business end of a 12 gauge pointing at you will make you rethink your life choices.

Mine never evaporated a drop and I had it for 40 years, are you sure you do not have a leak somewhere?
You dont live in California with this new 'Gasoline" 20% alcohol. works good in a closed non vented system like a fuel injected system, But a Carb, it just goes away. every morning no fuel in the carb bowls at all. LOL, no leaks.

Leave your car out side with a hose sticking out of the filler tube with super glue on the end of the hose.

-
Back