Six Pack Carbs?

-

Michael Nelson

1974 Dart Sport 360 4 speed
Reaction score
I recently obtained a direct connections six pack intake. My question is what would be the best choice for carbs mechanical vs vacuum. Can I Frankenstein some different two barrels to fit. Not trying to be cheap but part numbers don't matter, I want to use it kinda soon and I'm a college kid:thumbsup:

Also its going on a built street 360, don't know the stats but its not stock:thankyou:

I don’t believe you can use anything on the outboards but original 6bbl style carbs, not sure about the center carb, but I’m pretty sure that is also unique to the setup. I also hope you have some decent knowledge on how to set up a 6 bbl system, they are pretty finicky u til you learn how to set them up right. But when they’re set up correctly, boy are they a lot of fun. But they do require maintenance to keep them in good working order.

Don't know if you have seen this thread or not but here's a link to some interesting six pack info.

Don't know if you have seen this thread or not but here's a link to some interesting six pack info.

[/URL]
Thats my write up, i would go mechanical If you can find a set but they seem to have gone way up in price over the last few years. they flow more than the vacuum setup, about 1100cfm. If your on a tight budget 3 ford 2 bbl's might work for a 1/3 of the price

IMG_2506.JPG.

Thats my write up, i would go mechanical If you can find a set but they seem to have gone way up in price over the last few years. they flow more than the vacuum setup, about 1100cfm. If your on a tight budget 3 ford 2 bbl's might work for a 1/3 of the price

View attachment 1716026701.
Are the ford 2bbls similar? Like in terms of linkage. I read a few things about cutting off part of the carb on some 2bbs to make them fit but no clue on cfm, choke, or linkage. Id preferer to be cheap than expensive. From what I've been seeing holley sells the set for like 1300:realcrazy:

Watch out when buying any used 6bbl carbs. Most all of them are pieced together units that probably have some damage. Lots of the old carbs you see for sale have warped bowls and housings from over tightening the bowls. If I were buying, I would contact Scott Harms or Chicago Carburetor and get some of their rebuilt units. They will already be filed flat and thoroughly checked.

I think the Ford tripowers were mechanical secondary, with a progressive linkage. IF you could find some at a reasonable price (UNlikely!) they could work.
I believe Corvette carbs are available new, for less money than the mopars, and they will definitely work. They are vacuum actuated secondary carbs, like the mopars, but they can run three corvette centers with a progressive linkage if the fuel bowls are changed.
There really is no such thing as a budget/inexpensive six pack setup.... for anything (Ford, Chevy, or mopar).

There was a long thread either here or b-bodies where a guy bought three corvette carbs new, off ebay, for a very good price...... and then had to spend that again to make it all work.
I thought I had it bookmarked.....
but it may have not made the transfer from my old phone.

I remember seeing a video a while back where a guy cut par of the carb to fit.
For the outboard carbs would this work? Holley 0-4412S
Its has the same bolt pattern, cant I just remove the choke cut it to make a half circle and figure out linkage?

I remember seeing a video a while back where a guy cut par of the carb to fit.
For the outboard carbs would this work? Holley 0-4412S
Its has the same bolt pattern, cant I just remove the choke cut it to make a half circle and figure out linkage?
It might work..... as a mechanical secondary with progressive linkage, if it's got side-hung float bowls. Cathedral bowls won't work.
And you will have to be a GOOD tuner.

It might work..... as a mechanical secondary with progressive linkage, if it's got side-hung float bowls. Cathedral bowls won't work.
And you will have to be a GOOD tuner.
Are you saying that the center pivot floats won't work? That's what was originally on the 6 pacs.
Or are you thinking about spacing of the carburetors.?

The cathedral center pivot float bowls will work (of course) on the vacuum secondary end carbs, cause they have metering plates, not metering blocks.
The tripower carbs with accelerator pumps on the end carbs use metering blocks on all three carbs, and don't have room for the cathedral bowls, they need the shorter side hung bowls.
Edit: technically, you would only need the side hung on the rear carb..... but would you run rwo cathedrals with passenger side fuel line, and a side hung rear bowl with a driver side fuel line?

Last edited:
-
Back