Six pack help!!

-

tdbrick67

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can help me out
I have a 68 dart with a good running 340
With auto trans I changed it out to a six pack setup and just can't get it to run good! The carbs are rebuilt
I can only get it to idle in park at around 1400 rpm and sometimes if I give it gas it speeds up but on the way down it stalls? The other problem is if I put the trans into Drive it stalls right out ?? Could it be a vacuum problem ???

Did you move the distributor,,

Sounds like really late timing,, or vacuum leak/s,..

Plug or cap off all vacuum outlets/sources, to eliminate them,, then go from there listening and spraying non flammable fluid around the carb bases and manifold gskts..

You do know that ALL the carbs have idle circuits right?

Each outboard carb has idle screws in the lower front base cover with lead plugs.best route is to block off the out board carbs with blocks or something in that nature.get the center carb working with the correct timing then adjust the front carb idle and once that is set move it to the back and move the back to the front and adjust it.Dieing when put in gear usually means a lean condition if it's the carb causing it.

Thanks for the responds I have tried everything !!!!
I am really thinking it's a vacuum leak
That's why I need a high fast idle to keep it running
But it's not running really smooth at idle it jumps up and down and because it needs a high fast idle the torque converter is causing a stall when put into drive!! Does this sound possible

What cam are you running and did you run it before the 6 pack swap?What,if any stall?
Also there is a differemce in the 440 and 340 carbs.

It does have a cam in it not sure what the past owner put it in
It ran fine before the six pack swap

I am still leaning towards a vacuum leak
Before I changed everything out I was reving at 1000rpm in park and around 700 rpm in drive now I have to keep it reving around 1300-1500 rpm or it will stall in park

I am still leaning towards a vacuum leak
Before I changed everything out I was reving at 1000rpm in park and around 700 rpm in drive now I have to keep it reving around 1300-1500 rpm or it will stall in park

My 6 pack did the same thing until I got all the carbs setup close.I still have to run a touch rich to keep it from dieing when put into gear because my cam is too hot for a stock converter.So a stall is in the near future.Anyway I had to pull the lead plugs out to adjust the outboard carbs and make sure you have the correct base gaskets.It very well could be a vacuum leak but mine was doing the same thing.
Side note it would be interesting to see how many AAR and T/A were built with an auto as it seems they work better with a stick.

Thanks Another reason why I think it could be a vacuum leak is I used the cork gasket on the front and rear of the block I should have tossed them out and just use a good sealant

What cam are you running and did you run it before the 6 pack swap?What,if any stall?
Also there is a differemce in the 440 and 340 carbs.

The only differance in carbs is the rear carb on the 340 which has a distribution tab.

THATS IT!

The only differance in carbs is the rear carb on the 340 which has a distribution tab.

THATS IT!

Referring to the stock internals not the shell.But BOTH outboard shells are different in that they have the fuel distribution tabs on the 340 models.

Referring to the stock internals not the shell.But BOTH outboard shells are different in that they have the fuel distribution tabs on the 340 models.

Yep! The jetting is different. Shells are the same except where I noted.

Thanks Another reason why I think it could be a vacuum leak is I used the cork gasket on the front and rear of the block I should have tossed them out and just use a good sealant

Are your outboard throttle plates closing completely? Heavy wear in the bores or shafts? Warped or cracked base plate? Power brakes?
If your manifold is not sealing internally I'd think you'd be burning oil.
External leaks might be found using this method with extreme caution and extinguisher at hand.............

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/maintenance/how-to-find-a-vacuum-leak-2

-
Back