Six pack response...

-
No not really no accelerator pumps.

Vacuum secondary carburetors do not use an accelerator pump. I used mechanical linkage on my in carburetors without a problem. It was set up to work so the end carburetors did not come in until you were at approximately 1/3 throttle of the center carburetor. And then they were all three wide open at the same time.

Vacuum secondary carburetors do not use an accelerator pump. I used mechanical linkage on my in carburetors without a problem. It was set up to work so the end carburetors did not come in until you were at approximately 1/3 throttle of the center carburetor. And then they were all three wide open at the same time.

Can you please explain to me how to try that ?
Thanks.

Can you please explain to me how to try that ?
Thanks.

This is as close as I can find to what I used to run. It's not the exact same thing but it's getting close.

Carb experts, Wideband A/F ratios in on mechanical 6 pack.

demon-012-(1280x960).jpg

I’ve had a sixpack on my wife’s Challenger for close to 15 years. Bought it new.
It’s a near seemless experience, no hesitation really.
If it’s stomped from a start, it just boils the tires. Starts nice in the morning, and when hot.
Runs on the middle carb when cruising.
At the drag strip it ran a dozen passes all within 2 tenths with 2 people driving.
I wouldn’t want any other induction system on this car.
I have toyed with mechanical linkage, as I have a ansen ball bearing linkage by Caltech, that’s a progressive setup. Works well, but you no longer could stomp it from an idle without a slight hesitation. Off idle no problem.
I’m jumping in it in a few minutes.

Factory style vacuum setup on my warmed over 440 in my 70 V-code Roadrunner. Promax angled idle mixture screws on the rear carb throttle blade plate, jetable plates in the outboard carbs, and the Promax metering block on the center carb. The Promax metering block plays much better with the 292°/.509 Purple Stripe cam.
Stomp it from a dead stop (Passon 5 speed, 4.10 Dana 60) and destroy the 315/35/17 drag radials. Roll out a bit and stand on it and all good. I'm going to begin addressing the traction at launch issues with Assassin traction bars and Caltracs split mono leaf springs and sliders.
My favorite sensation with the 6bbl is to slowly roll on the throttle, keeping it light enough to where the slotted tab on the center carb holds the outboard carbs closed as the RPMs climb, and as the accelerator passes that point where the open part of the slot in the center carb allows the outboard carbs to pop open and WHAM!
There are a few reasons why (HP mods) the 440+6bbl in my Roadrunner is stronger than the HP 440 4bbl in the 71 Charger R/T I had in 78, but the 6bbl make the 440 feel like an entirely different and far more powerful engine.
I've become such a fan of the 6bbl, I insist on it being on a 540 cu in stroker I plan on building, and that's another reason for the Promax mods, so the carbs can keep up. That's also why I got the Weiand P3690982 6bbl intake, which I'm looking forward to trying out.
This tuning tip is the single most important thing I've ever learned about the 6bbl, and should help anyone:
Screenshot_20180625-220554_Chrome.jpg

Tuning the idle mixture by using that technique worked wonders, and no more fuel smell and watery eyes at idle. I also installed a dual wideband O2 sensor system. The lean spike at tip in is visible on the wideband, A/F ratio goes from appx 12.8:1 to 19:1 for about a second.

Again, just wanted to say thank you to everyone that has had experiences and issues with their six packs... and their solutions. Every little thought, idea, reason for their adjustments may be that one small adjustment that may help.
Truth be told " Brian Six Pack " has been a wealth of help so far and God willing [He too, seems to tinkle with sixpacks] I may get this resolved in the end.
These multitude of carbs are nice but the multitude of headaches are not.

MAPS

-
Back