six Trans

-

Ricksdust

70 Duster
Reaction score
This is a stupid question :sad1:but, did mopar make a overdrive trans for the later six engine? If so, can i put it in my Duster? Thanks Rick

Don't know if this will answer your question or not, but I have an OD833 4 speed in my 66 Valiant. The transmission and bellhousing came out of a '76 Volare and bolted right in after I found a '66 4 speed floor hump. All I had to do to the driveshaft was change the front yoke. The transmission is a Chrysler 833 4 speed that is basically a 3 speed with an overdrive 4th gear. These came in '76 A bodies, '76 up F bodies (Volare, Aspen), and half ton pickups and vans. The F body unit is more desirable since the shifter mount is in the same place as the A body and the tailhousing is the same length. The truck unit can be used, but you will have to make a shifter mount for it and have your driveshaft shortened since the truck tailshaft is longer.
Now I can cruise at 70 no problem, where before with the stock 3 speed, 50 to 55 was about it. Don't know how it happened, but the Valiant has a 3.55 rear gear from the factory and the slant is much happier with the OD 4th gear. My gas mileage is around 25 MPG. Hope this helps.

Yes, Thanks it helped alot. So i should get a volare or aspen transmission. That's what i thought. Thank you again Rick:thumbup:

well actually you can get the o.d. trans out of any A body 75 and newer the best way to tell is the alum case, also the truck version has an alum main case but an iron tail stock I think thier is someone on slantsix.org that is selling one now really reasonable also thier is one on ebay aswell

The '75 OD also came in an iron case, I have on in my '72 Duster. It came out of a '75 Scamp. Not all '75 4 speeds are the OD vesion there was a standard 4 speed also in '75.

Chuck

well actually you can get the o.d. trans out of any A body 75 and newer the best way to tell is the alum case, also the truck version has an alum main case but an iron tail stock I think thier is someone on slantsix.org that is selling one now really reasonable also thier is one on ebay aswell

I have a truck version complete with the factory shifter that I'd sell, or would really rather trade for a short tailshaft OD trans.

Easiest Way To Tell If Its An Overdrive Is To Look For The Upside
Down 3-4 Lever On The Side Case.THE WAY THE OVERDRIVE WORKS,IS,
WHEN YOU SHIFT FROM 2ND TO 3RD,IT ACTUALLY GOES 1 TO 1,OR
WHERE 4TH USED TO BE.THEN WHEN YOU PULL 4TH GEAR INSIDE THE
CAR,THE TRANS SHIFTS TO WHAT USED TO BE 3RD GEAR ON THE
60'S A833,WHICH IS NOW AN OVERDRIVEN GEAR VIA A SPECIAL CLUSTER
GEAR/MAINSHAFT GEAR COMBINATION.IF THE 3-4 SHIFT LEVER GOES
THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION OF THE 1-2 LEVER ON THE SIDE CASE,ITS
AN OVERDRIVE.(GOT ONE IN MY GARAGE)I HOPE THIS HELPS.I LUCKED
OUT GETTING MINE.I FOUND IT ON 50% OFF DAY AT SPEEDWAY
PULL N' SAVE...

-