SIZE OF 318 EDLEBROCK AIR FILTER

-

soonercruiser

Reaction score
So, I have posted pictures of my 67 Cuda with the 318 and Edelbrock 404 carb.
I was ordering a new (colored) air filter, and ran into an unusual problem - THE WIDTH OF THE 4 INCH FILTER.

Almost all the standard filters, and even Edelbraock ones, are 14 inches wide.
That roughly measured what I saw, but when it came it was slightly wider than the raised edge of the MOPAR Performance filter cover, and would sit up on the upturned edge of the carb filter base!

**So, the filter in place is more like 13 inches across/diameter.
What's the best solution here to keep my MOPAR Performance cover??
Is there such a thing as a 13 x 4 inch filter? I sure can't find one!

engine bay painted.jpg

I’ve ran them with a little hanging over before but I know what you’re saying. Seems some kinds are undersized.

IMG_8411.jpeg

DANG!!!
I hunted all day yesterday and NEVER came up with a 13 inch!
And I also found it just as you posted!!!
HUH!
Thanks

Yah, I figured that "hangover" would eventually vibrate to "opening" at the edge.
I even thought about converting the filter base to a 14 inch!
Thx again!

Last edited:
Kinda pricey but if you use Summits filter they have several from 13” to 14” in increments.

IMG_8412.png

That filter is not going to vibrate/go anywhere; it is being compressed/held in place by the centre nut.

So, I have posted pictures of my 67 Cuda with the 318 and Edelbrock 404 carb.
I was ordering a new (colored) air filter, and ran into an unusual problem - THE WIDTH OF THE 4 INCH FILTER.

Almost all the standard filters, and even Edelbraock ones, are 14 inches wide.
That roughly measured what I saw, but when it came it was slightly wider than the raised edge of the MOPAR Performance filter cover, and would sit up on the upturned edge of the carb filter base!

**So, the filter in place is more like 13 inches across/diameter.
What's the best solution here to keep my MOPAR Performance cover??
Is there such a thing as a 13 x 4 inch filter? I sure can't find one!

View attachment 1716226607

What I did for the wife’s ’67 Cúda was go to Summit racings site and use the left side bar to find the exact diameter and height needed for that odd size MP air cleaners use. I ended up with a WIX filter. The part number I have isn’t important since your set up is different. I am using a Mancini Racing drop base for the filter.

Measure up the inside lip diameter of the base and go from there. Try and get as much filter height as possible for best and easiest breathing possible.

-
Back