skips 69 swinger resto

-

skips dart

Reaction score
Well pulled my dart into my shop exactly a year ago and started taking it apart.Was pretty rusty once I got below the skin (was a pretty good looking 8 footer #s matching swinger). Built a rottisory rolled it on its side and got at it, replaced the floor,repaired the sub frames,torsion bar member,inner rear wheel wells did all the sheet metal work I felt I could do.Loaded it on a trailer and sent it for dip & strip next, was,nt too shocked when I got it back actually looked pretty cool as shiney sheet metal but more holes appeared and 38 yrs of past sins were exposed.Back to repairing more metal and holes.Now its with a mopar lover-racer body guy in Ontario for the finishing body repairs and paint, Hope to have it back in March(will be black C/W red strip or black on black still sleeping on that decision).In the meantime I have rebuilt the dash,all interior motors heater wipers etc.,3.55 diff and springs,tranny,new centerforce clutch.The 340 still had stock bores but tired so took it .040 over-KB pistons,redid the X heads,Comp cam & valve train,air gap intake-700 Holley so it should roast the hides when I jump on it(can,t wait).Now I am just waiting on parts, rebuilding or replacing every thing left on the car.What a money pit.Bought a brand new GTS when I was 18 didn't cost me near as much.

ENGINE 001.jpg

ENGINE 002.jpg

ENGINE 003.jpg

Looking great Skip!!
nice shop too.
Sounds like a good plan and like Oldvart said you've got allot dun.
Keep it up and let us see your next move.

Looking really great there Skippy. Hope to see your car cruising around our way. Do you go to the show on 97 hwy at Dougs campground? Maybe when your Swinger is done, you'll bring it out there. I see you are a bowhunter too. I used to be right into it, and went to all the tournaments, and hunted around here. Never find time to now. Good luck with your Dart.

133_3329 (Small).JPG

Nice work. How do you find anything in that shop:toothy7: Keep up the good work

You call that a "shop"? There's no grease or crap laying around. I've seen some living rooms where the floors aren't that clean. Looks more like a hospital operating room. :thumbup:

I tried to post some of the body pics but I guess the pic file size was to large so I will try again if I can resize the file, still trying to figure that one out.

Thanks for that, I will try to post a few body progress shots if I can figure out how to shrink the pic file sizes.

Looking really great there Skippy. Hope to see your car cruising around our way. Do you go to the show on 97 hwy at Dougs campground? Maybe when your Swinger is done, you'll bring it out there. I see you are a bowhunter too. I used to be right into it, and went to all the tournaments, and hunted around here. Never find time to now. Good luck with your Dart.

I hope to make it to a few different shows,I will check that one out come time.I love my bowhunting (got 2 10 point bucks this year and still trying for the 3rd) almost as much as wrenching on the Dart so finding time is tough,also have to fit in 50hrs a week on the job.Your Swinger looks great,hope mine turns out as nice.

Nice to see another Canadian do so well. My Dart Sport is almost ready for the engine too. The engine bya is painted, all I have to do is put the eng and trans together and drop the whole thing in before I get the body painted.
th_dec3-07005.jpg

Well pulled my dart into my shop exactly a year ago and started taking it apart.Was pretty rusty once I got below the skin (was a pretty good looking 8 footer #s matching swinger). Built a rottisory rolled it on its side and got at it, replaced the floor,repaired the sub frames,torsion bar member,inner rear wheel wells did all the sheet metal work I felt I could do.Loaded it on a trailer and sent it for dip & strip next, was,nt too shocked when I got it back actually looked pretty cool as shiney sheet metal but more holes appeared and 38 yrs of past sins were exposed.Back to repairing more metal and holes.Now its with a mopar lover-racer body guy in Ontario for the finishing body repairs and paint, Hope to have it back in March(will be black C/W red strip or black on black still sleeping on that decision).In the meantime I have rebuilt the dash,all interior motors heater wipers etc.,3.55 diff and springs,tranny,new centerforce clutch.The 340 still had stock bores but tired so took it .040 over-KB pistons,redid the X heads,Comp cam & valve train,air gap intake-700 Holley so it should roast the hides when I jump on it(can,t wait).Now I am just waiting on parts, rebuilding or replacing every thing left on the car.What a money pit.Bought a brand new GTS when I was 18 didn't cost me near as much.

This was the body progress

Picture 630.jpg

Picture 632.jpg

body & brakes 030.jpg

body & brakes 033.jpg

Assembled the SSBC discs to the old drum hubs,went pretty smooth other than having to run a tap thru some of the holes to get the bolts thru without trashing the threads.

ENGINE 005.jpg

ENGINE 006.jpg

The restoration and especially the engine and tranny look great,but, the con dition of that garage is sickening. Makes me just want to walk thru it with muddy boots on. LOL

Feels good to get some rubber back on the ground.Just a few more pics of finished sub assemblies.Everything gets glass beaded,repaired,rebuilt ,painted and reassembled.Finally feels like im making some headway,sure hope I can figure out how those window and lock mechanisms go back together once I get the body back.Got a feeling there will be some head and arse scratchin going on.

ENGINE 034.jpg

ENGINE 036.jpg

ENGINE 037.jpg

ENGINE 038.jpg

-
Back