Slant 6 268 cam

-

elvaliant66

Reaction score
i have a 67 valiant previous owner did work to the motor had put in a Clifford 268 cam. It has a Clifford intake with Clifford headers and a Holley 390 on top. My question is what should my valve lash settings be? Thanks in advance

Best bet would be to check with Clifford. Valve lashes are typically different between the various cam profiles.

I sent a stock 65 cam to Oregon Cam who reground it to a different profile 234/228 @ .050 and now the lash settings are .012 for both intake and exhaust versus the stock .012/.022 or whatever stock was.

I don't know.
A little Loose is better than a little tight.
If you are itching to get going, I think I would try .014/.022 with engine at about 60/70 degrees F. Just take it easy 'til you get the cam suppliers specs

Last edited:
i have the same cam. I run it 15-16. Cam card said 16-18.

Good luck.

image.jpg

Hot or cold
I set up .002 bigger cold.
I will say this, that cam if not checked, will eat cam bearings ( keep an eye on the rocker oiling)
Also if you can , check the advance. Had to go 6 deg on an offset button to get the motor to run properly.

I set up .002 bigger cold.
I will say this, that cam if not checked, will eat cam bearings ( keep an eye on the rocker oiling)
Also if you can , check the advance. Had to go 6 deg on an offset button to get the motor to run properly.
Car runs strong now. Took a summer to get dialed in. 68 rag 15.3 sec 1/4 . 3:91, 904, 3000 stall, Holley 600, 5900 redline.

"Also if you can , check the advance. Had to go 6 deg on an offset button to get the motor to run properly."

That makes sense. The cam card shows 110 intake centerline. By advanceing the cam 6 degrees, you wind up at 104 centerline. Most slants like the intake CL between 102 and 106 degrees.

I sent an email to Clifford already I'm assuming since it's a long weekend this week hopefully I hear from them on Tuesday.thanks a lot boilermaker! I'll go by those specs for now try it out and see how it goes. And "had to go 6 deg on an offset button to get the motor to run properly" that means 6 degrees on the timing? Or the actual cam position? Never messed with any internal motor parts I'm new to this so not really sure bear with me lol. Thanks for the input slanters!

I believe he's referring to cam timing. I got that from post #12
Yes, cam timing.
I'm using the big block offset kit. They make things easy.
I average around 14" at idle in gear (750 rpm) and 19-22" lite throttle on highway at 3500 rpm with that valve lash.

I have put in an offset cam button on my /6. Worked out, but you can also get some advance in them with offset keys in the crank sprocket, if you can find one that fits. It is easier.

And yes, OP, this is the actual cam position, not the ignition advance.

-
Back