Slant 6, 318 or 360?

-

Ramman

Reaction score
I own a 1987 Dodge Ram pickup that I'm looking to customize. It currently has a 318 and I'm looking to increase performance with a rebuilt engine. Should I have the 318 rebuilt or purchase a rebuilt Slant 6 or 360?

Any suggestions are welcomed.

For an increase of performance definitely go with the 360, be careful of your rear end if you go to crazy; probably a 8 1/4 right. My dad just dropped a 383 in the same year of truck.

slant 6 wow :shock: ..no way

360 yes!

Lots of other factors come into play, like money. But if customizing includes increasing performance, then find a 360 and build it up and swap it out.

Go with the 360. That's what I did in my '89 Ramcharger. Getting close to finishing the project. Probably next month sometime. The 89 Ramcharger is exactly the same setup as your '87 Ram, if you have any questions, just ask. I can help.

Don't worry about the rear, it's a 9 1/4. Plenty strong for your 360. Best thing is that it's pretty much a drop-in, except for the driver's engine mount bracket. I got a new one for $25. Other than that, It should bolt right up. \\:D/

what is a average amount of power that comes out of a 360? done up with a mild cam, nice heads,intake,carb,pistons...and such

I'm not sure, because it's not dynoed, but I'm expecting maybe about 350hp and around 400ftlb of torque. I have a 77 block bored .30 over, stock rods and crank. 9.0-1 comp., J heads with 2.02 valves, stock 4bl intake, 670cfm Holley carb, block was decked and the whole thing balanced, Comp cams extreme grind .462 lift cam, headers, etc.

Daves67Cuda said:
360, but why would you consider putting a slant 6 in it?

Why not a slant six?

Why everybody put a smallblock engines toa pickup's or Dart or Valiant?
Why does slant six do?

I have a slant six Dart, bigblock Fury, smallblock Ram Van, my wife has a bigblock Valiant...

Slant six is the answer!!!

:headbang:

I had a slant 6 in my Dart, it was a good driver and stuff, but like all these guys said, no replacement of displacement. And I got rid of it to get a 4 speed.

Käkö said:
Why not a slant six?

Why everybody put a smallblock engines toa pickup's or Dart or Valiant?
Why does slant six do?

I have a slant six Dart, bigblock Fury, smallblock Ram Van, my wife has a bigblock Valiant...

Slant six is the answer!!!

:headbang:

Why have hamburger...if you can have steak? :burnout:

pic4.JPG

-
Back