Not open for further replies.

65 Dartman

1 of None 65 Dart Sedan Delivery
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
177   0   0
Contact seller
I bought this header with some other slant performance parts as a package deal and was thinking they just might fit my early A 65 Dart wagon. It had no identifying marks on it other than 9471 stamped on the flange. I thought they might have been Hookers; however, I now believe they are an older JR/Mopar Performance 6 into 1 header with a 3 inch collector. I found a post on slant 6.org where the same identical looking set was installed in an early A. It was not a drop-in as several tubes had to have strategically placed dents here and there. See this thread:
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9921&sid=bca5b9f978bf725f6f7451f2f24b3eea and scroll down to the 11th and 12th picture. I suspect it won’t easily fit in an early A with power steering, which my wagon has and can’t be changed (it’s a wife thing!). I think it would be a better fit in the 67-76 A Body with or without PS rather than in an early A but that’s just my opinion. I have found a set of Clifford long tube 6 into 2 Headers that DO fit the power steering in the wagon so these are excess to my needs. These 6 into 1’s appear to be pretty much NOS and have never had any exhaust put through it. It does have header wrap on each tube extending from the flange to about a foot and a half or so from the flange. $300 plus shipping from 22657.

Attachments

• slant header.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 484
  • more new header 018.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 464
  • 2015-01-24 15.20.29.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 457
That sure does hang down low under the engine. Really tall like a truck header.

You are correct dartman those are '67-'76 a-body JR's yes they do hang a bit low
I bought early version in mid 80's square ports,half of which did not align w the ports
in the head.....6 hrs. of welding & grinding incl. adding nuts so the bridging washers had
something to clamp ! terrible. have 2 later versions w/ round ports much better& nuts
welded on 4u did unmentionable things to get one on my '64 GT man. box!!

you wanna pass on these if you're not putting them in a '67 & up
unless hours of heating,dimpling, cutting,welding & rerouting
are all you live for. '66 and down a-bodies are approx 2 1/2
in narrower between the frames, so you've got over 1" less
room to the side on dr. half. also closer to pitman/centerlink
by 'bout 3/4" than my '72 swinger tho' not sure why. the primaries
on these are as large as the OE tailpipe ..... scary.

Can any ony one tell me how hard it would be to modify these to fit 66 Barracuda manual steering with manual transmission?

No personal experience on making them fit and early A with PS and a 4 speed (although I probably would have tried until I found my Clifford long tubes)

That sure does hang down low under the engine. Really tall like a truck header.

Guess I should have tilted the engine over to normal position and added bolts to hold it in the right position.. As others have mention ed, this is really for a 67-76 but with some work might fit an early A.

after sending my last post i went to the garage to figure out the centerlink/pitman clearance thing.
looking at the 72 duster & then the 64 GT the engine is approx. 1" further forward on the early
A-body thus the heavy interference on tubes 1,3,&4 at that point. Interference on box, tube 1
very heavy at sector cover,tube 3 super heavy at top & an extra ding for the pinch bolt. tube 4
half flat to clear the plunge joint,tube 6 pipe crease for shaft . Torsion bar , tubes 4&6 huge cove
for room. only tubes 2&5 are unmolested, the rest are mangled to be polite. i basically fit to use as a template to mod the unused one i have. mopar street headers carried the last 4 digits 64** till
sometime between '89 & '95 when they switched to 94** . I assume they made the sw. to the
far superior JR/Hedman pieces 65 dartman is selling here then. Cheers!

Based on Killer6's first hand observations and trying to make these headers fit on an early A (thanks Killer6) , they most suitable for a 67-76 slant as I initially thought. These do have the nuts welded on for the installation of the slant bridging washers and as he mentioned, the primary tubes are pretty big (I don't think they're as big as an OEM tailpipe, but pretty big never-the-less). I'll see if I can get some kind of measurement and update the thread.

Sorry, I guess the primary tube/tailpipe comment was poorly constructed. The scary part is how
SMALL the OE tailpipes on both my "64 GT's were. Not even 1 1/2" in the bends!! The header is fine
and is sized appropriately, plus the simplicity of one pipe 3" if you need it w/ the like sized collector.
Sounded good on my swinger w/2 1/2" & super turbo.Ran a modest 88 MPH in 1/4 W/383 2bbl. &
stock stall conv. which didn't let it get on the cam till u were rollin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back