Slant 6 A Body advice. Engine and chassis.

-

Alsdartgt

Reaction score
I have a few questions and I am looking for advice and maybe some tips from people that may have built what I am trying build.
I have a 1972 Duster, slant 6 3 speed manual trans with a 323 rear diff.
I want to make this car more practical and fun to drive.
I have already switched it to factory Mopar electronic ignition with and Orange spark box. The car has manual brakes and power steering.
Questions.....
I dont want to make a "hot rod" just a better motor. So I want it to breathe better is there some head work that can be done to improve intake and exhaust flow? If so what should be improved? porting? changing valves? I want this to be fun and keep it on a budget, thats part of the fun.
In the end I want to keep the base engine intact. No cam change and such. I have an extra cylinder head what mods should be made. I would also like to run a single one piece header and a multiple carb intake. maybe 3 1 bbl or 2 2 bbl carbs. Good or bad idea?
I would also like to change the trans to a 3 speed with an overdrive. This seems to end up turning into a can of worms. So with this question I hope to hear from some one that has done this swap so I know what to look for at the swap meets.
I want to loose the power steering, Its too "easy" and no road feel. What is recommended for a manual gear?
Suspension, I am going to lower the car front and rear Blocks in the rear and tun the torsion bars a bit! The car has no sway bars. Looking for recommendations on size and brand names.
This is a fun budget project using craigslist e-bay and swap meets. Any advice would be great!

Best bang for the buck would be a turbo-charger, but that is a big bite since all are roll-your-own. However, since you like ebay and junkyards and have all winter, consider it. You wouldn't even have to pull the head.

I would need to do more research. I was looking more into old school kinda "build" With out alot of mods. However I will look into it.

I have a few questions and I am looking for advice and maybe some tips from people that may have built what I am trying build.
I have a 1972 Duster, slant 6 3 speed manual trans with a 323 rear diff.
I want to make this car more practical and fun to drive.
I have already switched it to factory Mopar electronic ignition with and Orange spark box. The car has manual brakes and power steering.
Questions.....
I dont want to make a "hot rod" just a better motor. So I want it to breathe better is there some head work that can be done to improve intake and exhaust flow? If so what should be improved? porting? changing valves? I want this to be fun and keep it on a budget, thats part of the fun.
In the end I want to keep the base engine intact. No cam change and such. I have an extra cylinder head what mods should be made. I would also like to run a single one piece header and a multiple carb intake. maybe 3 1 bbl or 2 2 bbl carbs. Good or bad idea?
I would also like to change the trans to a 3 speed with an overdrive. This seems to end up turning into a can of worms. So with this question I hope to hear from some one that has done this swap so I know what to look for at the swap meets.
I want to loose the power steering, Its too "easy" and no road feel. What is recommended for a manual gear?
Suspension, I am going to lower the car front and rear Blocks in the rear and tun the torsion bars a bit! The car has no sway bars. Looking for recommendations on size and brand names.
This is a fun budget project using craigslist e-bay and swap meets. Any advice would be great!

you can adjust the power steering to get a lot better feel very easily. there is and link to an article that shows how to do it. easy really just add or subtract some washers at the power steering pump to get the feel you like. if you go manual you need a steering shaft and coupler for a manual box or an adapter(some get flaming river or similar joint)to work with the power steering shaft and the box

I did the adjustment and can't wait to get the dart running so I can tune the steering to what I like. remember FAT tires in a manual box are a bear to parallel park with or slow speed maneuvering , yeah you young guns can do it but some of us older guys don't want to (or at least I don't)

Do you have the link? I have a power steering gear that was rebuilt by Feel Firm for my 67 Dart Its okay but at low speeds it may as well be a manual gear! I understand that there is a give and take BUT I would prefer the power assist at low speeds. Worse yet the pump shudders at hwy speeds. I think thats my deal with manual steering.

I dont want to throw Feel Firm under the bus! I am not complaining about the product I bought! The company had only been in business for a few years and I am sure If I ordered the same unit now it will have been revised! So take no offense please! The gear has been in my car since 2000.

Try this link: [ame]http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/beep/PUMP_IT_DOWN-re-v1.4.pdf[/ame]

that linked work ok for me, it's an adobe PDF file so if your adobe is turned off or you don't have Adobe reader it won't open.

I put the slower firm feel power steering box in my 62 Valiant and LOVE it .With the orig and the aluminum engine it was way to sensitive,its perfect now.Guzzi Mark

Have you thought about this quick mod for PS box?

[ame]http://www.moparaction.com/tech/beep/PUMP_IT_DOWN-re-v1.4.pdf[/ame]

Might save some time and bucks.

WOW! Thanks for all of the ideas and input! One last question, Sway bars! I know that installing a set front and rear will make a difference. Anyone have a Brand preference? Diameter preference? Also ease of install? My 67 Dart has Addco I believe and I had to modify the bracket a bit, just to tuck it up some. The rear is mostly where I need advice. My 67 doesnt have a rear sway bar yet either.

Front sway bar first and a set of good shocks makes the biggest difference, also I'm sure your rear leafs are beat like mine, some ESPO 6 leaf springs which have a great rate will be the best bang for buck, then go from there so you can know what you'll like. I run a 1 1/8" front bar from Summit. Plenty of bar. I'm sure 7/8" or 1" should be more than you'll ever need.

Also do a search on the Moog 7103 offset UCA bushing swap too since your into handling, it will help a lot. In fact it's a key swap to get the suspension closer to modern caster handling abilities, closer to 3-4 degrees negative, stock bushing will be lucky to get 1.

Here is some light reading, check out the skosh chart half way down, and you'll see why I mentioned it:

http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/front-end-alignment.html

And for the last consideration: If you plan on taking your engine out, and even if you don't, the front suspension pinnings can have quite a bit of flex to it, especially around the steering box, and when you install sway bars on the LCA's. It would pay to reinforce the k-member and the lower control arms. If you do a search on the topic, there are plenty of pics and methodology, floating around.

Enjoy!

-
Back