Slant 6 Challenger on Craigslist

-
Hey Wicked/six: If you have seen the car personally would you be kind enough to get some pics posted up here on the site. I'm sure, if not me, there will be a buyer. Thanks for your help.

O.K. I called the guy, Cliff and had a good talk with him. Nice guy and he will be getting pics to me via his wife on email. He's in Calif. The car is in Washington so this might take some time. He said he'd have his son call me and give me better details on the car as he's the real Mopar guy.

I f i had some i would! Did not have a camera on me. I was to caught up in the moment to get any anyway , seeing a piece of history like that is somewhat spellbinding! Wish i could pick it up and have it in the corner for conversation!

TF

Hello

I was reading with interest the comments on slant six Challengers. I've owned mine for about 15 years and really like the car. I kept cracking the old menorah type exhaust manifolds so I went back with all Clifford stuff and it goes pretty great for a slanty. Really surprising on the freeway. 90-120 comes pretty fast and it is tall geared. It is all original and numbers matching.
I have no plans to sell it or clone it but I would like to find out how many are left if I could. I've never seen another one or seen one for sale that wasn't roached.

Jon S.

IMG_24992.jpg

Not much to look at, not detailed well (yet) and a daily driver.
You might see it Nov. 14 at Goodguys in Pleasanton. :-D

Saw this post when looking for the VIN location and had to show my slant 6 72 Challenger. I bought it about 2 months ago for 6500 bucks. I believe it is the original engine or I am hoping it to be because I never even new that E-Bodies came with Slant 6's but then again I am pretty new to the classic Mopars. To me I will probably keep the slant 6 in it just because you never see them around. Still trying to find the Vin Stamp on the engine. Will take more pics if anybody wants me too.

Most People even Mopar enthustiasts do not truly realise the awesomeness of the Slant six...

In fact part of this was due to Ma Mopar... who kept a lot of info under wraps becasue it was feared that if word got out the humble Slant six might steal some of the Thunder and sales market from the Mighty Hemi!

Chrysler under rated the slant sixes intentionally, at one point they even made a prototype diesel slant six that wasn't even beefed up at the main webs because of how strong they were... pretty amazing when you consider gas six was maybe 10.5:1 compression ratio and a diesel is 23:1 compression ratio

Long before the winged cars getting Mopar sanctioned out of circle track racing for having too winning of a design with the 69 Charger Daytona and the 70 Superbird for the second time in 10 years (interesting I thought racing was all about winning without cheating LOL)

Note that this car is stated to be a NUMBERS MATCHING original and since not that many E Bodys were made with the slant six destroying such a huge part of important Mopar history would be a shame

Did you know that the races of 61 & 62 only had a cubic inch engine size limit not a # of cylinders... Engines were limited to 250 cubes and under...

Chevy had Chevy II's and Ford had Falcon's, both with 6 cylinders but they couldn't even come close to the slant six Valiants and Lancers...

By 1962 Buick and Oldsmobile had Special Aluminum block V8's in 215 cubic inches....

Interesting thing the Mighty Slant sixes were so fast that even against GM"s new lighter V8 engines Mopars stomped them so bad

Wide World of Sports declared the race series.. "the most Boring Races In Racing History" because the cars at the lead of the pack all looked the same and lap after lap little to no difference in leaders.

Spooling ahead to the Trans Am races of the late 60's and 70's.... I have strong reason to believe that Mopar made a huge mistake on the E Body entries...

Trans Am racing cu in restrictions placed a 302 cu in limit on engines....

So for the E body entry for 70/71 a destroked 318 was used this engine ended up being a dog when compared to normal Mopars performance...

I believe that if Mopar had opted to use the slant six instead its likely to have been far more competitve than using the sickly 318 combo. this conclusion is based on the Slant sixes trouncing the GM V8s in 61 & 62
There are soooooooo many innacuracies in the post.....

Too bad the diesel and the turbo diesel slant was never realeased to the public (yeah they existed) they could have been a badass little motor possibly even better than the cummins.

-
Back