Slant 6 cylinder Aluminium engine

-

bigboss

Reaction score
Hi im new on this forum, and the owner of 2 Valiant -64 Wagons.
Please excuse my bad english, but ill hope yuoll understand

The car, have a aluminium engine and i need the cylinder head gasket, seems to be hard to find, it would be nice to get some help.

Regards from a sunny Sweden, and thanks for a great forum.
Michael

Attachments

• 100_4149.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 598
Those aluminum slants are neat! I'm sure someone will be able to help you out, but also check with slantsix.org.

Are you sure you have the aluminum engine? They did not come in cars after 1962. Yes, it could have be installed by someone. Can you get a closer picture of the block between the headers?

OK here comes a pic of the engine, wich was installed in the car about -95.
So the engine is older than the car.
Its have a bigger bore and hi comp pistons and the cylinder head is ported and have bigger valves.and there is an 276 degres camshaft, holley 390 , and an Offenhauser 4port mainfold, and heeders slighty modified cause it has power stering.

Thans again for the help. Michael

Attachments

• 100_4227.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 532
High compression is not good for an aluminum slant block at all. Since they lack support at the top of the cylinders, the cylinders can actually distort and cause the head gasket to blow. 8.5:1 is probably all they can stand. Maybe that's why you need a head gasket.

Hi and thanks for the help, the high comp. pistons were installed because when the cylinder head was ported and bigger valves were installe the compression drop, and its now slightly above the original, maybe that that caused the problem,
But the engine runs well but it have some radiator fluid in the oil pan, and i dont want to take off the cylinder head before ill have the gasket.

Hope you will understand my poor english.
So the problem is still the gasket, can anyone suply it or make it?

Best reguards from an sunny Sweden Michael

Hi and thanks for the help, the high comp. pistons were installed because when the cylinder head was ported and bigger valves were installe the compression drop, and its now slightly above the original, maybe that that caused the problem,
But the engine runs well but it have some radiator fluid in the oil pan, and i dont want to take off the cylinder head before ill have the gasket.

Hope you will understand my poor english.
So the problem is still the gasket, can anyone suply it or make it?

Best reguards from an sunny Sweden Michael

Based off what you just said here, have you done a compression check yet? It might not be the head gasket but a different all together.

That Kanter gasket kit is not a bad deal, though I agree the description to 1983 sounds strange. Read on www.slantsix.org about how the head gasket for the aluminum engines were unobtanium a few years ago, so some got together and made a group buy of custom copper head gaskets. They might have paid >$100 just for the head gasket.

I would contact Kanter, Directly. They list two different part numbers for the aluminum engine gasket sets.
12264J, 60-69 170 engine
12408P, 60-83 225 engine

I have no idea what they are talking about. There was no 170 aluminum engine produced, only a 225 from 60-62. Those dates look like the dates the 170 engine was produced, and the 225 was produced. But there is no difference in the gaskets sets, between the 170 and 225 iron engines, so the differenc in part numbers does not make sense. The price of the sets, looks like it should be for an aluminum engine set.
PS: The only difference in the gasket set between the iron and aluminum engines is the head gasket, and the rear main seal.

That Kanter gasket kit is not a bad deal, though I agree the description to 1983 sounds strange. Read on www.slantsix.org about how the head gasket for the aluminum engines were unobtanium a few years ago, so some got together and made a group buy of custom copper head gaskets. They might have paid >$100 just for the head gasket.

The group buy of copper gaskets, was not for the aluminum engines. It was for power added iron engines. I do not think a solid copper gasket would work on an aluminum engine. As far as I know, Kanter has always had the aluminum engine gaskets available, although they have raised the price a few times.

Charlie, I was under the impression that the standard head gasket would work with the aluminum head. Is that incorrect?

Charlie, I was under the impression that the standard head gasket would work with the aluminum head. Is that incorrect?

I have not tried it, but I would say it would not work. There are quite a few differences in the head gaskets. The stock iron head can be made to work with the aluminum engine. That might be what you are thinking. Just have to make sure the head has the combustion chambers well centered over the cylinders.

Yeah I think that is what I was thinkin about. Something about how rare the Special Head is. That's gotta be it. Thanks Charlie.

Hi guys, ill checked the Kanter option with som help from Autoshop in Orlando( Friends of ours from our town Umeå in Sweden) but they didnt hawe any gaskets left, so ill keep on searching
Ill check the compresion this weekend to se if there is something wrong.
Regards from a very hot Sweden Michael

When you have the head off, look carefully for corrosion. That was a major problem with the aluminum blocks and why they often got head gasket leaks. I have read it is often impossible to repair the block. Chrysler sold a special coolant for those engines, but later owners started using regular coolant, thus the corrosion.

Hi all, i finaly found a gasket from Francis Olson, thanks for the help i got from you all.
Ill keep you update on the engine process, with so pics and info.
So this is what the engine looks today

Attachments

• 100_4226.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 313
-
Back