Slant 6 EFI

-

MacKeg31

Reaction score
Does anyone know if someone makes an EFI system that fits the stock intake for the slant 6?

I have not seen a 1bbl TBI but check out the Stromberg 97 type TBI clones. Something like that could work on a Super Six intake.

135_0406_efi_22_z.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like Moon backed out of the idea. Probably better to get a 4bbl intake.

There was a member here who was making a kit to run early 90s V8 TBI. Quite a few members inquired about a kit for a slant so I provided him the needed distributor for a slant. I did hear that what he put together for a 2 barrel Super Six manifold did indeed work. Since then he has dropped out of sight!

Would be awesome to have multiport injectors. What they call that Sequential or something? I don't know...but and intake with 6 injectors and a throttle body would be sweet. I think the Aussies have intakes that are capable. Maybe Clifford performance does too. I dunno, since I don't have an slant 6.

There's quite a few guys over on slant six.org who have converted to Multiport and use Megasquirt to control it.

Term is Multi-Port Fuel Injection (MPFI). If they add "Sequential" to the name, that means they time the injector pulses to match the intake valve opening, which mainly aids lower emissions around idle. But simpler "batch fire" works fine too. That main advantage of multi-port is that the fuel is metered to each cylinder equally (assuming the injectors are all matched). Throttle-body injection still has the carburetor problem of the fuel droplets flowing more to the center cylinders (rich), leaving the outer cylinders lean, though it does atomize better than a carb. Currently no store-bought solution for MPFI. One guy here drilled holes in a slant head to install injectors.

So with the FiTech (or perhaps the new Holley) TBI setups, can you really dial them low enough?

Clifford's 225 intake has bosses for injectors.They are not drilled and you can make fuel rail for it. Mopar Engines West did one up for me using 38# injectors. I sold it to a guy from PA about 10 years ago. He used a Jeep throttle body and a Megasquirt controller.I think there are You Tube Videos of it running.It is his daily driver.Also it may still be on slantsix.org of the complete build.

I think FI Tech uses common MPFI injectors in their throttle body, so fuel flow depends on what PN injectors they install. Also of concern is matching the air flow to a slant. It will be hard to control if you get all the air the slant can use at just 1/4 throttle opening. But, 3.7L is hardly a tiny engine, and many new V-8's are that small.

Too bad the Jeep 4.0L six intake doesn't bolt up to a slant head. That would be an easy way to get MPFI. Unfortunately, Chrysler dropped the slant before MPFI became common. That Jeep block dates back even further to the 1950's and is as loved as the slant.

I'm hoping a smaller 2 barrel throttle body injection system becomes usable on these cars. I don't want the complexity of multiport. Would be nice to have a nicer cleaner running
Fairly easy to install tbi system. If one comes out and will work I'll spend the cash.

I'm not building some hi po turbo car. Just a nice turnkey system that's better than a carb.

Did someone mention bung-head? This is easy and you can use any intake, even the 1bbl. Bolt on a Ford windstar 3.7 tb to the 1bbl intake and run MS with 6 neon injectors. Any efi intake is going to wash a wall with its spray, this design will hit the back of the hot valve.

20160604_143556.jpg

20160604_143827.jpg

Find an old analog holley 2bbl pro-jection. It's pretty basic with a pump and a controller with knobs on it. Would have to use adapter to intake but it works a little better than a carb on cold mornings. No trigger wheel or computer to program.

Sounds like the old dfi system on my 81 kawasaki gpz1100. Bosch jettronic system. So simple for efi. But it started so easy and ran flawlessly. To bad parts these days are almost impossible to find for it. ****, dealers in 81 thought that was voodoo and most systems that had minor problems got tossed in the garbage.

-
Back