Slant 6 Gas Mileage

-
Well not sure what to add. But are you sure you are figuring it correct? Are your brakes dragging? What kind of numbers did you get before the rebuild? Drove mine 350 to Rod Run in Pigon Froge TN last year and got 23mpg. stock bottom end, Holley 4bbl with a header. 3.73 gears in an 8 1/4 rear, with the A/C used part time.

I bought the car and had the mechanic drive it to his house. Being that this is the most dependable engine inthe world, I didn't think it was a problem. When he got to his house, it had a couple of bent push rods.

A rebuild was needed. I have no idea what the milage was before.

I know the brakes aren't dragging. I am going to have the mechanic check timing and the carb.

I am not sure if the quality of the Mexican gas makes that big of a difference.

You have something dragging you down thats for sure!! Brakes, bad alignment, rear end..
I get 20 to 24 miles to the gallon easy, what ignition and plugs are you running ?
I hope the new build loosens up some, but dang!! 9 mpg park that puppy on a level
parking lot and but it in neutral and push it and see what it does and sounds like..
Carb has got to be running fat/rich to eat that much fuel or it is running under a load of some kind.

It has the original electronic ignition.

I hear noise from the rear end but it does not feel at all like anyuthing is holding me back.

I figure if the carb is running rich I will see black smoke out the back and that is clean.

What are you using for your miles measuring? Try it again with a GPS.

then what others have suggested looking at.

GPS is to new-fangled for me.

I fill up the car, mark down the mileage and then fill it up again when my gauge tells me to.

I then see how many liters it took and how many kilometers have been driven.

I looked up the conversión from KPL to MPG and got the 9.

Must be towing a 10k trailer or trying to haul a tree. My / would get low 20's if I beat the crap out of it and still pull 30 on the highway.
Have to agree your cam is off a tooth, Timing is way off, Driving in 2nd gear, bad vacuum leak some where, carb is pouring fuel. bad coil not fireing the fuel, Distributor cap cross arcing inside. rotor with a hole burnt in it.

The engine runs snooth at idle so I don't see how I could have a vaccum leak.

Would the car have good power if the cam was off a tooth?

Just out of curiosity, what kind of numbers do you get in a compression check? Those ought to point to either internal problems with the engine or external "tuning" type problems.

I will have the mechanic check the compression.

Something has to be wrong or I have the worst slant 6 on the planet.

Explain exactly how you determine mileage, for both the slant and the 318. If you are using the marks on your fuel gage on the dash in any way, that is too naive to even discuss. Ditto for the odometer unless you verified it against a GPS or mileage markers on a long trip.

I basically drive the same per week. I have used both cars for weeks at a time and the 318 goes farther.

Earlier I explained how I check the mileage onthe slant 6. I can't on the 318 because I put in an overdrive transmission and it is longer than the original, so the speedo cable is not hooked up yet. This is all around town driving by the way. I do no highway driving yet.

I will be taking the 318 on the road this Saturday and I am curious what it will get.

What kind of carb is on it and where did the carb come from?

Remanufactured carbs from parts stores are notoriously sketchy. I went through a few that gave me 10-11mpg before I bought a NOS one that worked correctly.

22-23 225 auto, highway, i did get 30 in duster with 4 spd od. ( thats my story and i'm stickin to it)
just wondering: if the carb has the overflow tube, could it be puking out gas goin down road>?????

'80 Volare wagon, was sitting for 5+ years before I bought it. Oil change, rebuilt (localy) carb, new tires, no valve adjust/tuneup, 18.5 mpg on a 185 mile run.

Just went through this with my daily driver 64 Dart 170, auto. Started out getting around 20. Over the last month or so it's dropped to around 10. Gave it a full tune, checked all the obvious possible issues..nothing helped. This morning, I decided to go through the carb (BBS) Popped the top, and noticed the fuel level was way high. Emptied the gas and saw that the floats barely had any movement. Pulled them out and found more than 1/4 inch of fine silt built up in the bottom of the bowls. That silt raised the level of the whole assembly so that the tang that pushes against the needle assembly had a bad angle and wasn't shutting off fuel flow completely. Cleaned out the bowl, and could immediately hear the difference in the engine. Much cleaner and snappier. Have not calculated mileage yet, but I can tell by the way she runs and sounds that everything is back to normal.

-
Back