slant 6 mods

-

csx452

Reaction score
What kind of performance mods is everyone doing to their /6 cars and what kind of results are you getting. I'm looking at a really nice 71 Duster but need more performance than a stock slant provides. Pics and videos would be really nice if you have them.
Thanks,
Frank

Frank, they are like any other engine and respond in the same way to the same kind of mods. Where they differ is the scope of those mods. Slants are easily "overbuilt". In other words, easily overcammed, overcarbureted, over exhausted. You get the idea. The best thing to do is figure out what you want to do with the car and go from there. Get what's there now running in top tune so you have a solid baseline. If you can be more specific about your goals, you can get some much more specific answers. We have some real slant gurus here that are always willin to lend a hand. I am building one myself...my first slant in fact. It's gonna be a hot one, but I don't have experience with them. I am relying on friends to help me along. They have been a tremendous help so far.

Frank, they are like any other engine and respond in the same way to the same kind of mods. Where they differ is the scope of those mods. Slants are easily "overbuilt". In other words, easily overcammed, overcarbureted, over exhausted. You get the idea. The best thing to do is figure out what you want to do with the car and go from there. Get what's there now running in top tune so you have a solid baseline. If you can be more specific about your goals, you can get some much more specific answers. We have some real slant gurus here that are always willin to lend a hand. I am building one myself...my first slant in fact. It's gonna be a hot one, but I don't have experience with them. I am relying on friends to help me along. They have been a tremendous help so far.

bingo... we can help you build anything from a 13 second NA slant to a 10 second boosted slant...

i prefere NA...

Attachments

• 100_4732.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 518
  • 100_4754.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 486
  • 68 Dart (56).JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 480
You got some loose lug nuts. Almost sounds like a personal problem. lol Happy birthday for a few more minutes.

You got some loose lug nuts. Almost sounds like a personal problem. lol Happy birthday for a few more minutes.

yea i just threw a slick on to make sure it would fit lol...

and yep! had my first margarita at dinner tonite!

yea i just threw a slick on to make sure it would fit lol...

and yep! had my first margarita at dinner tonite!

I like them BIGUNS on the rox wif gummy fish swimmin around in um.

805moparkid I have to say I LOVE your hood prop. Is it your cane or did ya still it from a nice old lady. LOL

805moparkid- What year is your motor and or head? ive not seen one with the side exit thermo housing before

well! Arent you just nifty?! lol I like that. I bet its a lot easier to find hoses for

Thanks for the reply. I don't currently have a slant but am looking at a 71 Duster with a slant 2 bbl. Just not enough ponies there stock. I'm also looking at 2 Darts. One with a 318 2 bbl and another with a 318 4 bbl. All 3 cars are really nice. Love the Duster body style and it's the only one local to me. I'm not looking to make a screamer. I just want something that wakes you up when you jump on the gas. I've heard good and bad about the Clifford mods, but haven't heard much else about building a quick slant. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks again,
Frank

bingo... we can help you build anything from a 13 second NA slant to a 10 second boosted slant...

i prefere NA...

I prefer NA myself. What would it take to build a 13 secong car? I'm assuming very low gears with a slant. I'd like to salvage some gas mileage if I buy the 71 Duster I'm looking at. I don't really want to go the boost route. I already have an 87 Shelby CSX that boosts just fine. The engine is a 2.2L 4 banger and runs like a raped ape, but it needs an engine. Compression is 115 on 1, 105 on 2, 75 on 3, and 30 on 4. I had 0 on 4 3 years ago when the engine let go. How the hell does compression come back after letting the engine sit for 4 years? LOL!!! I tested it 3 times. I have an engine ready to drop in and am just undecided on what electronics, injectors etc. to run. I'm going to go somewhere between 300 and 450 hp to the ground when all is said and done. Should be a fun ride.
Frank

I prefer NA myself. What would it take to build a 13 secong car? I'm assuming very low gears with a slant. I'd like to salvage some gas mileage if I buy the 71 Duster I'm looking at. I don't really want to go the boost route. I already have an 87 Shelby CSX that boosts just fine. The engine is a 2.2L 4 banger and runs like a raped ape, but it needs an engine. Compression is 115 on 1, 105 on 2, 75 on 3, and 30 on 4. I had 0 on 4 3 years ago when the engine let go. How the hell does compression come back after letting the engine sit for 4 years? LOL!!! I tested it 3 times. I have an engine ready to drop in and am just undecided on what electronics, injectors etc. to run. I'm going to go somewhere between 300 and 450 hp to the ground when all is said and done. Should be a fun ride.
Frank

By the way. Love the car. 68 is my favorite Dart.

I prefer NA myself. What would it take to build a 13 secong car? I'm assuming very low gears with a slant. I'd like to salvage some gas mileage if I buy the 71 Duster I'm looking at. I don't really want to go the boost route.
Frank

well its all about effeciency... my car get 20mpg @ 3K cruze lol... but thats where the cam works best... kinda sucked on drive to vegas from PHX but it got there!

805moparkid im still wateing on u to trade me that dart lol

i know... i thought you wanted it in the 12's first? im probably 2 track nights worth of tuning to be in the 13's...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1xM3OFn8us"]Run1.MOV - YouTube[/ame]

Glad to see there are so many interested in building their /6's !!!If everything goes as planned,mine will be pulled this weekend to start my fun and games !!

:blob::blob::blob::blob:

Glad to see there are so many interested in building their /6's !!!If everything goes as planned,mine will be pulled this weekend to start my fun and games !!

:blob::blob::blob::blob:

What are your (detailed, please) plans for it, and what is it going into, please???

Inquiring minds, etc.. :cheers:

What are your (detailed, please) plans for it, and what is it going into, please???

Inquiring minds, etc.. :cheers:

Well,I'll be the first to tell you I don't have any set plans except the fact that I want a kick *** /6 !! I've already purchased:
Aussie 4 barrel intake
Aussie 6 into 2 headers
High Volume Oil Pump
Cylinder Head (waiting on Frank)
Head Gasket
Intake/Exhaust (Romac)
Offy Polished Valve Cover
K1 Forged Rods and Pistons
ARP Main,Head Studs
Oil Pan and Valve Cover Studs

I think that's about it,but CRS is my best friend !!
Double Roller Timing Chain
Romac SFI Dampner

All this to go into this :

Attachments

• 1969dart 009.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 325
that is a clean car 6pakattack!!! i love my slant it's reliable, gets good mileage, and definently earns props @ car shows for being a "wow didn't think that was under the hood"! i am transplanting mine with a warmed up small block BUT the lil' slant will never be far away from the duster...they're a great match as far as power-to-weigh ratio! good luck with all your projects everybody!

Well,I'll be the first to tell you I don't have any set plans except the fact that I want a kick *** /6 !! I've already purchased:
Aussie 4 barrel intake
Aussie 6 into 2 headers
High Volume Oil Pump
Cylinder Head (waiting on Frank)
Head Gasket
Intake/Exhaust (Romac)
Offy Polished Valve Cover
K1 Forged Rods and Pistons
ARP Main,Head Studs
Oil Pan and Valve Cover Studs

I think that's about it,but CRS is my best friend !!
Double Roller Timing Chain
Romac SFI Dampner

All this to go into this :

That's an impressive list, and a gorgeous car!!! I love those Darts!!!

Tell me about your pistons; bore-size, and compression ratio, please...

-
Back