Slant 6 power steering belt replacement

-
Reaction score
I have a 70 Dodge Dart Swinger with 225 Slant 6. Fairly new owner and doing some repairs. Changing all 3 belts (has a/c and power steering). I got 2 belts off but cant find where to adjust tension for power steering belt.
Please include picture if you can.

Also any recommendations on what belts I should buy to replace all 3.
Thanks

I only have one slant with PS but the engine isn't quite back together from a rebuild so I can't help with a photo, but I think I can describe it well enough. For belts I like Gates but I've also used generic parts store stuff with no issues. Make sure to take your old belts with you, often what they sell you isn't quite the right size. Your old belts most likely have stretched a bit over time so generally a new belt will be a hair shorter.

For adjustment, look at the PS pump from the front. There will be a couple of bolts in the brackets, loosen those. Then there is a square 1/2" hole that is the right size for a 1/2" breaker bar. Use that to get enough slack to change the belt. You will be moving the entire pump on one of the brackets.

Last edited:
I have a 70 Dodge Dart Swinger with 225 Slant 6. Fairly new owner and doing some repairs. Changing all 3 belts (has a/c and power steering). I got 2 belts off but cant find where to adjust tension for power steering belt.

Thanks
So I loosened this bolt and still cant get power steering pump to move. Also cant find square bolt/nut to adjust tension. Really need help on this so can put belts back on.

So I loosened this bolt and still cant get power steering pump to move. Also cant find square bolt/nut to adjust tension. Really need help on this so can put belts back on.

IMG_1936.jpeg

Thanks
For everyone that helped with your response, my Dart is fixed and running down the road again. Appreciate it.

Gates is way to go and save some serious $ and order from Rock Auto. A Gates alt. belt for my 66 (Ford) was $35 at O Really and $9 plus shipping at Rock. Same belt. and O Really Master Pro belt will last maybe a year on a daily unless you are luckier than me. Yes the MasterPro belt was on $10.

I'll just add a small data-point. I think there were 2 different p.s. pump bracket designs for the Federal pump in a slant-six. I say that because the OE bracket in my 1969 Dart cracked, between the 3 bolt holes to the block. I noticed that because the pump was wiggling too much. A junkyard bracket I pulled at a salvage yard was a bit different, so likely the designers had learned of the problem. I recall the OE bracket looked like the photo in post #5. The replacement bracket had vertical slots at the top that the cross-bolt dropped into. That was ca 1986 so don't fuss if a bit off. The replacement was likely from a car just before they changed to the Saginaw pump. No internet to learn then and I was a newbie, so probably lucky I pulled a bracket for the same p.s. pump since I didn't know they earlier used a similar-looking TRW pump (different brackets) and later the Saginaw (oblong reservoir).

-
Back