Slant 6 Question

-

fastcorgigarage

Reaction score
Ok I cant remember what years will and wont do a direct bolt up.
I have a 64 Dart with the pushbutton trans and I'm going to go buy a engine out of a 71. Would I need the adapter piece to make the motor work with my trans?

There was a time when your local tranny shop actually had the converter with the smaller crank button !! Don't know if it's special order or not anymore !!

There was a time when your local tranny shop actually had the converter with the smaller crank button !! Don't know if it's special order or not anymore !!

Uh, LOL he already has the older trans which should have the smaller crank button. He needs the bushing which upsizes it to the later engine

I think we need to set some specifics down here

First, is this a "stupid question" about a slant 6

or is it a question about a "stupid slant 6?"

What is needed to use a 68 or newer engine in a 67 or older car/trans.
1) 68 or newer flexplate
2) adapter bushing to fit in the end of the crank. (I have these available)
3) for a 66 or older "A" body. A 66 or older oil pan and pickup tube (from the old engine)
4) Engine brackets and mounts from the old engine.
5) possible distributer and ign parts, depending if you are going to run points or electronic ign.

What is needed to use a 68 or newer engine in a 67 or older car/trans.
1) 68 or newer flexplate
2) adapter bushing to fit in the end of the crank. (I have these available)
3) for a 66 or older "A" body. A 66 or older oil pan and pickup tube (from the old engine)
4) Engine brackets and mounts from the old engine.
5) possible distributer and ign parts, depending if you are going to run points or electronic ign.

I'm putting a 71 A Body Scamp slant six into my 64 A Body Dart Slant six car.

I'm putting a 71 A Body Scamp slant six into my 64 A Body Dart Slant six car.
What I listed is what you need to do. The only thing you need to buy is the crank bushing and the flexplate if there is not one on the new motor. Everything else transfers from the old motor.

Why will I have to switch the oil pans? I'm not trying to be a smart *** I just haven't ever ran into situations like this with other motor swaps. The whole /6 seems to be a class all to itself.

Why will I have to switch the oil pans? I'm not trying to be a smart *** I just haven't ever ran into situations like this with other motor swaps. The whole /6 seems to be a class all to itself.

That is a fair question. The 67 and up oil pan will hit the 66 and down K member. It will go in but will rub. The sump is further back on the 66 down pans, then on the 67 up. The pickup is matched to the pan.

-
Back