slant 6 rebuild and upgrade list

-
Yahoo! just got the reground cam in and new lifters. moving forwards (slowly but moving)

20161104_203320.jpg

Last edited:
66Dvert,

How much was the cam and how long did it take them to make it?

Any news on your build?

Mike

total cost for cam regrind, fixing the worn fuel pump lobe, shipping from there and new lifters was $192.00. Shipping to there was 26.00 (Ken Heard from Oregon cams said not to put in a PVC pipe since he has seen quite a few broken that way) I used a 3 corner box from the post office and packed it well with bubble wrap.
total time was 2 weeks from sendoff to delivery.

block is in the shop now and it looks like a .030 minimum cleanup. I'm still waiting on final determination due to the holidays and he's pretty busy.
getting Cam bearings and crank checked/polished or turned depending on wear. so I'm in holding pattern right now. I'm making new molds for my kick panels and trying to get the convertible arm rests into a usable state right now.

What machine shop did you wind up using?
Hi Charlie,
I couldn't get scheduled with the guy you said to go to,since he's super busy and could not promise a date to complete so I called around to the couple dirt track guys I new and they pointed me to "Henry in Dade city", He busy and a bit slow but does get the job done. the head came out pretty good with 1.44 and 1.70 valves new guides and springs. the height on all the valves are dead on and as soon as the block comes back I'll check if it is shrouded more than I'd like. then fix it. I have a week wait " maybe" and it'll be done.

total cost for cam regrind, fixing the worn fuel pump lobe, shipping from there and new lifters was $192.00. Shipping to there was 26.00 (Ken Heard from Oregon cams said not to put in a PVC pipe since he has seen quite a few broken that way) I used a 3 corner box from the post office and packed it well with bubble wrap.
total time was 2 weeks from sendoff to delivery.

block is in the shop now and it looks like a .030 minimum cleanup. I'm still waiting on final determination due to the holidays and he's pretty busy.
getting Cam bearings and crank checked/polished or turned depending on wear. so I'm in holding pattern right now. I'm making new molds for my kick panels and trying to get the convertible arm rests into a usable state right now.

Thank for the cam information and sharing your project.
I am now mentally prepared for a custom cam, had no idea on the cost.
Mike

new update (whew took me a bit to save the money.) anyway got the block back for mockup .030 overbore on the pistons and .010/.010 on the crank to clean things up. new Welch plugs and cam bearings. just got the timing chain , gasket set and oil pump. I'm not too happy about the # 1 piston and rod pin position and will have to have it "adjusted" by the machine shop so I'm confident on the piston/pin/cylinder wall clearance.

Since this will eventually be a turbo engine I would like to ask about the ring gaps. Should I adjust the ring gap extra(ohh .005 or so) on just the top ring? second ring? or both the turbo will be limited to 10lbs boost tops (more like 8 -10) I did just the top rings @.008 on my supercharged 440 about 10 years ago and didn't have any problems but I figure it's best to ask people who know a lot more than I do on the turbo setup since it's a new venture for me.

Ahhhh nice .030 bore and new Welch plugs no water leaks here now. the old plugs were weak. still have to tap out the threads with a bottom tap and clean,clean,clean for mockup.
20170304_155858.jpg
20170304_155902.jpg

new cam bearing plug along with the bearings.
20170304_155909.jpg

new pistons pressed onto the rods. (rings are here too!) Now for some final cleanup and getting # 1 rod and piston re-centered, yeah I know the crank will center the rod where it is supposed to go but the pin on this rod is more to one side and "might,maybe ,could" cause problems.
20170304_160010.jpg

still waiting on the rod and main bearings to mock up the block to see how far in the hole I am for a static compression check with the new goodies.
After I CC the head I'll go to the static compression calculator and plug in the numbers to get/see where my compression is and what I have to do to get it over 8 and less than 9. oh and some nice shiny international harvester red paint to make it pretty.

YoungDart75 I'll have to finalize my block/head combo and static compression before I even think about the correct turbo. I'll be sure to pm you guys for info after I get the compression ration nailed down. Thanks

Just got the head back from the machine shop. 1.44 and 1.70 valves hardened exhaust and some small amount of porting started .030 off the head to even things up and it'll be CC'd this weekend. I'll do the rest by just smoothing in the bowls and rough spots. Block and crank just got dropped off for new cam bearings, boring to cleanup for new pistons and crank checked to see if it needs ground undersize. Cam is @ oregon grinders getting an #819 @ 114 separation for the turbo setup. I'm getting closer! where can I find a new heater hose nipple that goes into the head since mine is really nasty?
View attachment 1714982827

View attachment 1714982828

"I have just finished going to charlie_s place and talked to him about the setup I'm wanting."

listen to Charlie and you will be fine,,

Last edited:
-
Back