slant 6 removal question

-

Old Dart

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone could tell me a good safe spot to attach my straps to pull out a slant 6.

head on or off? if on use the front boss for the alt bracket (3/8 hole) and the other... ah geeze it will come to me... ... ...

well with the head off just use opposing corners and head bolts... motor is at the shop or i could tell you...

Heres how i lifted mine out,just used a bit of 6mm thick 50 mm angle bolted it into the middle hole in the top of the head(with the rocker cover off)And it picked up just about right for the angle of the motor.:smile:

Attachments

• the lifting lug..jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 582
If you're truly using "straps" and the engine is still complete, I tie them around the #1 and #6 manifold runners. If you're using a chain, the same place unless the manifolds are already off. Then, I use the threaded hole in the front of the head and the block hole by the starter opening. I'm leery of using the intake/exhaust studs as I've seen those break off....especially the end ones. If they're fresh studs, you could use those too.

Those threaded 3/8" holes between the valve cover and manifolds, on the manifold side, are there specifically for lifting the /6. The front hole is for lifting the engine only, and the rear is for lifting the engine and transmission together. Don't use the manifold studs for this, they will likely break.

Those3/8" holes between the valve cover and manifolds, on the manifold side, are there specifically for lifting the /6. if you put a bolt in both holes, and chain to both bolts, it will be at the correct angle to remove and replace the motor. Don't use the manifold studs for this, they will likely break.

i always thought those were for the A/C brackets!! good call!

Wow,

And I discovered those 3/8" holes by accident. Who knew they were specifically for pulling the slant six out. :))

By the way Old Dart, be prepared to pull off your front wheels and drop your front end to get the slant six high enough to clear the engine bay (unless you have a really good lift with lots of room). I had to do that on my Duster in a tight squeeze garage, but it took some trial and error to get to that point. Hopefully this will save you a little time.

Yes a while ago i googled s/6 lifting lug and found mine,you use both lugs for engine and tranny and the middle lug for motor only.Thats what they used in the factory,i had a big a frame to lift mine out so room was goood.:smile:

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I ended up using a home-made L bracket attached to the bolt holes between the manifold and the valve cover. Very safe and balanced, which is a good thing for a poor Canadian boy who can't afford a engine lift. Instead I borrow a tractor with a loader from my neighbour. This was my second time swapping an engine with a loader and in my opinion, much more fun than using a hoist. Thanks again to you all, and thank you John Deere.

-
Back