Slant 6 road test in Dodge Dart 60-76 Book

-

GenLee1970

Reaction score
Got me a copy of Dodge Dart 60-76 last week and I really enjoyed it, as I do road test books from most any American make. What made this all the more enjoyable is the fact that there were several road test reports of /6 powered cars, rather that just the more muscular models. It was interesting to note how the road testers had good things to say about the slant as installed in the cars from the 60's. Even in the larger early 60's Darts, the /6 delivered "adequate power and remarkable economy". Handling was also praised as were brakes. Fast forward to a 1975 road test where they refer to the Dart as the standard by which other compacts are judged and proceeded to try to find out why. Then they gave the worst review of the whole book; brakes, handling, and especially power and economy. I guess when an engine that had only 110 net horse power loses 20 of that due to emissions and catalytic converter by 75, something has to give. This concurs with what my Dad told me about selling Datsuns in the late 70's. Folks would ask him why they were getting so little on their Ford Granada trade it. When my Dad told him that was the going rate for a gas hog they'd reply "it's got a six in it". He'd then inform them that the choked out six cylinder models got poorer mileage than the small 8. Sign of the times.

Funny how technology wasn't good enough so everything was strangled off. It was epa compliant....but had no hp.

Crap cam, Crap heads, smog pump, combined with low compression to run weasel piss gas. etc etc. Then take the fact lots got highway gearing to help with mpg the fun factor got even smaller. Nothing fun about 2.76 gears on a smogged out engine.

-
Back