Slant 6 spitting

-

Brown8404

Reaction score
Howdy gents,
I am not sure what is going on with my slant 6 here is he link to a video i posted.
I have checked timing, the exhaust is not plugged, I think it is the valves, but not sure.
This slant 6 is the 225 out of a 74 Duster.

Any moisture in the distributor cap or rotor phasing a little off perhaps? Also low voltage to ignition will cause that. Try running a hot wire to coil + and see if it changes anything.

Timing sounds like it's wired wrong, 153624 clockwise, timed straight up, .010/.020 hot? Even bad gas would sustain an idle..may have a dead plug but I bet it's crossed.

Check the tune up. Put a timing light and dwell meter on it.

- Possible crossfiring (similar to the ideas in post 4 and 5); could be cap or wires
- Sticking intake valves: work some carb cleaner down the stems and guides
- Lash not right
- Ignition timing set well off
- Ignition system misfiring: reluctor gap or reversed distributor connection or an erratic connection anywhere in the ignition module, coil, ballast or distributor
- Timing chain slipped

Gents, I would like to throw out a huge thank you,
My problems rested with the timing, I had purchased the Voltage regulator, ballast resistor, and the ignition control module, I changed all of those, checked the timing "Which was off by a little bit" and now she is running a lot better. This morning was the first time I had driven my duster farther than the end of the block. Thanks much

-
Back