Slant 6 to 318 72 demon swap.

-

termy1971

Reaction score
I just got a really nice slant 6 demon. I have some specific questions.
The Demon is manual everything. 3 speed on the tree.

I purchased a nice 74 Dart SE 318 auto car. Power everything.
Basically I will be swapping the K and everything from the dart into the Demon.
Now my questions.
1. I want to retain a manual trans. Do I only need a bell housing and a floor shifter? or a different trans also. Also do I need a v8 z bar? Will I need to replace the floor hump?
If another trans is needed does some one on here have what I need for the swap or a complete list for the swap to buy.
2. I need a cam suggestion. I have always had 340's and W2 running gear on them so i'm a little lost on this. Manual trans, nice lope. the 318 is rebuilt and runs great. I will have headers and aluminum intake and ill buy the carb to match the cam selection.
Thanks in advance. I am in AZ if anyone still swaps and sells parts.

need a v8 torque shaft (ZBAR) and v8 bell housing also v8 manual flywheel you can use your current transmission. if its a three on the tree it shifts on the column, there is no floor hump unless its a 4 speed or a 3 speed on the floor there would be a hump needed. i would suggest just dropping in a 4 speed instead of trying to use your three on the tree and adapting it to a floor shift 3 speed. i have a 318 with a 4 speed in my dart and man it hauls *** with 3.23 gears

If the teener is running good now, how about not caming it until after you have ironed out all the swap kinks? It will only be faster in the lighter Demon, as it is, and with a 4-speed.
If you have the fully-synchronized A-230, that's not too bad a unit, for a low-rpm engine, but I don't recall the 6s getting them in 72. The A-230 has an aluminum side cover. All other 3speeds have a tin top-cover. If you go tranny shopping, I highly recommend the 3.09low/direct 4th unit. Your teener will be lightning with 3.55s. Almost lightning with 3.23s.
Good luck, and have fun!

Last edited:
May not be able to adapt the 3 on the tree to a floor shift. Not all 3 speeds have the mounting bosses for a shifter. Yes, you could change the tail housing to one that does.
Reproduction humps are available as are V8 Z bars if you cant find either used.
Any thoughts on using a OD 4 speed set-up?:)

I have been looking around for a trans that does not break the bank. I have a wanted add in the classifieds here. From the info I gather I need a trans (the 3 speed I have has the tin cover on top ) Bell housing, fork, zbar, and a shifter, the hump and drive shaft (if it needs changing) isn't a big deal. There is a lot of stuff for sale in the 3k range lol. For all that ill buy a built manual valve body auto. I am leaving in an hour to go get my 74 dart v8 donor car. I have a budget to finish the Demon out and if the 4 speed seems to costly ill just put the auto in it. I have to order headers and exhaust this week. Hopefully something will pop up by then.

Some mopar 4 gear stuff is made of gold...didnt ya know that??? lol
Might be easier...and cheaper...to go with an auto.
Be safe in the friday traffic :steering:

Some mopar 4 gear stuff is made of gold...didnt ya know that??? lol
Might be easier...and cheaper...to go with an auto.
Be safe in the friday traffic :steering:
LOL alot sure has changed. Don't worry we are getting the car out here near florence, traffic is easy going :p

How did it work out? Get a lot of the parts you needed?

How did it work out? Get a lot of the parts you needed?
So Sorry I haven't been on to update. Been real busy at work and after work to get on the pc. I had a few guys offer me stellar deals. I have decided to put the auto in. I have everything and I would be upwards of 2k just to keep a 4 speed in it. That money goes along way into finishing out the car. I'll live with the auto for now. I decided to get the car done and then redo the engine and trans. I have the motor and trans out of the donor dart. Going to try to get the k frame with all the brakes and stuff out of it this weekend depending on how hot it gets. I have more parts then time lol. The only thing I have left to buy is paint a dash cap and the windshield pillar trim. I could get it done if it wasn't 113 degrees out lol.

-
Back