Slant 6 to 318 swap, 72 Duster, Using 75 D100

-

sublimittrent

Reaction score
Ok so Im going to be starting a new project and im looking for any info that would help and I have a few major questions that if could be answered would save some time.

First of all here is what i will be using.

I have a 1972 Duster slant 6 that i am going to be throwing a 318 into.
The donor motors are going to be coming from one of the 2

1977 D100 stepside or
1975 D100 stepside
I will be throwing the slant 6 that is in my duster witch has a bunch of super 6 upgrades into whatever one i rip the 318 out of.

Both Trucks have running 318s in them and because I am in California I assumed that the best downer would be to remove the 75 because if i put the slant 6 in it it is smog exempt so i wont have to worry about getting it up to smog standards.

My first of the questions i have is if the axles or the rear ends for the rear of the trucks would match the size of my duster(would they be swappable) i have not purchased the 2 trucks but i will be soon so if anyone has the measurements of the length of the rears that would help.

I have purchased a front disk break kit for my duster and it changes the front to 5x4.5 from 5x4 in the front now my goal is to spend as less as possible to get the rear to the same as the front. One of the trucks has a nice all around matching set of wheels that are 5x4.5.

When i pick up these trucks i am also getting 2 sure grip rear axles and ends so if it is possible to throw the entire axle and end on the duster it that would be great. If not what an i looking at trying to get to throw one of the rear end chunks into an axle that will fit my car?

Also is there anything that i need to know before i do the swap over to 318. any extras i will need to complete the swap? I have these 2 d100s to work with and im picking them up because they are both in decent condition and i talked him down to $2k for both trucks and a lot of 318 parts and the 2 sure grip axles.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help. Im looking forward to starting on this project.

Trent

Truck diffs will be too wide. I'll let others comment on the rest.

Thanks for the response, I assumed they would be to wide but saves me some time dealing with pulling the wheels to measure everything.

No problem. Could be shortened.
Welcome to the site.

first off why would you pull the engine in a california stepside dodge? around this area a truck like that in good shape will bring $5000+ all day

also a /6 truck is a pig; people will argue but I had one, wasen't long putting a 318 in it

I'm not very knowledgeable in this area, but I have been led to believe the /6 and 318 a904 transmissions don't swap because of the bell housing and starter mounts. Maybe you plan to keep the trans and motors together but I don't think you specified that. Also, will the truck Trans bell housing fit under the car easily? Throttle linkage, torsion bar changes?

Please post your project, I'd be interest in following along.

The guy is selling 2 trucks for 2k and in my area thats about right for one as far as price goes. It depends on condition. These arent in the best condition but will be good work trucks in the end. Maybe down the road put some money into one of them.

My plan will be to keep the tranny on the 318 and swap vise versa to the truck with /6. I will post pics once we start sat or Sunday.

I don't see how you could do this on a budget. I personally wouldn't buy the trucks unless you're planning on just using them.

There just aren't enough parts that swap from a truck to a car cleanly to be able to do this on any sort of budget. The bulk parts like engine and transmission can be swapped over, but it's the small things that don't swap that are going to price gouge you to death.

Do you need a different oil pan? Pickup tube? Dipstick? Transmission linkages? Transmission mount? Driveshaft shortened? Rear end shortened? Axles shortened? Leaf springs? Torsion bars? K-Frame or V8 adapters? Tires for the truck wheels? Master cylinder? Brake lines?

There's a lot of small and big things you need to do to make this work.

People can help you easier if you give more details on all the vehicles. Like engine, transmission and rear end for all 3 vehicles. We have some of the information but not enough to let you know exactly what you need.

These are the 2 trucks for 2k. Also for just the 75 witch is the yellow, he said truck only with hood $800. What is an estimated guess on how much i will have to spend on a 318 or maybe a 340 with trans to be able to do this build. I was assuming that for the price of these the money needed for extra parts would be made back by resale the trucks after we are done swapping.

You will need to change oil pans and mounts,trk pan and trk mounts wont work in the duster,you will need conversion mounts such as schumaker or chk with northern auto parts they had a conversion mount set up at one time for about 60 bucs,oil pan should be easy to find,make sure you get the pick up tube to match pan,you will need car exh manifolds or headers,again shouldnt be hard to find,the alt,starter will interchange not sure about PS,may need diff bracket,if the duster rad is there would prob work if it was an a/c car,trk ones wont work..as far as trans mounts should be same location,if trans out of trk is 727 or 904 may need to modify driveshaft in the duster unless both had 904's...on rear ends you may need to post pics of what you got in extra parts,you say sure-grips,are they 8 3/4's or other,are you getting just the chunks or complete rear ends?

After seeing the pics of the 2 trks and if they run and drive and have titles I would fix them and sell them[if it were me I would keep them] for 2k there is money to be made plus keeping these trks together and not parting out would be more favorable for they are getting hard to come by..a 318/360 engine and trans shouldnt be hard to find and with correct oilpan/exhausts etc to transplant into the duster...

As for as i know they are sure grips but im not sure of the size yet the only thing he had told me was that they were possies but i haven't gone to look at everything yet, hopefully he just dosnt know his mopar lango and they are sure grips. they should be full axles and diffs he said.
both have titles and the 75 is back registeresd to july and the 77 is non op current.

The duster is running and driving daily but has blown head gasket on th /6 witch a new kit was already purchased and it was dirt cheap.

seems like you would be money ahead to just buy a motor for the car. 318/360's go from free to $500 on craigslist in nor cal, and you could probably find one already setup for a car.

After seeing the pics of the 2 trks and if they run and drive and have titles I would fix them and sell them[if it were me I would keep them] for 2k there is money to be made plus keeping these trks together and not parting out would be more favorable for they are getting hard to come by..a 318/360 engine and trans shouldnt be hard to find and with correct oilpan/exhausts etc to transplant into the duster...

The 77 truck will be tough to sell out here with our smog laws. I don't think you're even allowed to sell "as is" even if you write it in a contract. The buyer could always come back later and legally get his money back if the truck doesn't pass smog.

The bed on the gray and black one looks weird to me. That rear fender doesn't look correct. But I'm no truck expert. Also the 77 truck has an earlier grille on it. Might want to run the VIN's just in case and make sure you know what you're getting. I went and looked at a 75 once and it turned out it was an 84 that had spent some time in Mexico getting "fixed up" lol.

If i could find one that would have been the first thing i would have done. I cant seem to find anything on cl in or around my area at all. Sucks because my dad is LAWFISH on here and i grew up in nevada with tons of these motors just lying around but he recently moved to idaho and sold off almost everything. Anyone know of a 318-440 in my area decently priced. Im in between sac and san fran

The rear fender that is on the 77 was told to me that they were off of a Chevy truck by the seller but Chevy trucks fenders where metal and these are fiber glass witch makes this truck an adventure California edition. the fenders on this truck are rare and i know that because the last 77 i had i was offered a decent price for them. Just dont tell the seller that lol

Also on my old 77 the grill was different it was lined at the top with dodge so he may have swapped the grill to an older at one point.

you will need conversion mounts such as schumaker or chk with northern auto parts they had a conversion mount set up at one time for about 60 bucs

What do you mean when you say conversion mounts? The ones on the block itself or the mounts on the frame?

you would still have to buy v8 car mounts, manifolds oil pan and transmission cross member and $2K for a truck to rip the engine out is alot of money, $800 is too

you would be further ahead to buy a junk yard 5.2/5.9 with warrenty
Yes I do believe I said that in above posts..no need to buy a crossmember tho the slant 6 one will suffice...and the junkyard set-up would be an option also..many ways this could go...hell if he's got 2k just get a 5.7 hemi and stuff that bad boy in..they can be had at salvage yards have seen a few less than that...and there is always 383 or 440 to twist your mind...but when you change one thing you must change 2 other things and it never ends...so smblk would prob be best bet for the money and availability and ease of installation.....for the most part

So im looking at a 340 duster that has bad rust in the floor panel witch the entire drivers and pass will need new sheet metal. the engine is all there but it is spread in parts in the cab of the car. If he will take 2k im looking at getting it and this would make the job easier, I could do a complete swap pretty easily if i am not wrong. Just seeing what everyone’s input is on the subject. ill atach pics of the 340 let me know if this is a bad price.

Car looks decent..chk #'s on the heads and chk driverside of the block to see if its really a 340,does it have all the pieces such as exhausts,steering column,title,driveline etc? also chk vin to see if it was a real 340 car or what...if its a real 340 car try to get it as cheap as you can and build it...with your duster as the donor...just a thought..what rearend is in it?hopefully an 8 3/4 or at least an 8 1/4 bigbolt pattern...keep digging your getting closer

-
Back