Slant 6 to 318 swap, 72 Duster, Using 75 D100

-
I haven’t matched the other vin numbers yet but it looks to be a 340 car. If the numbers on the block and all and it is numbers matching then ill be sure to go with this duster. Everything looks to be there and it looks like he has partial pics of bucket seats witch look to me like they are cuda buckets.

1970 should have the forged crank which is nice, adds some value if its useable. Should also have 8 3/4 diff. which also adds value. Is it an auto or 4 spd? Just curious.

FYI that tag likely means it was not a factory 340 car- but someone went through the trouble of registering the engine change (so title prob says 340 also). I assume since you were talking about doing a swap anyway you do not care about it not being factory, just want to make sure you don't pay "factory 340" prices.

Replacing those floors is no biggie, but may want to crawl underneath to see the condition of the qtr panels, likely they are toast too.

Oh even as a half basket case, if the paperwork is straight and the block is useable 2K is not the worst deal I have heard of :)

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_barresources/07_autorepair/engine_change_guidelines.html

I saw that car on craigslist a couple weeks back and the guy listed it as being rust free with rust free floors lol. Be careful and look the car over real well because he's obviously not an honest seller.

If it has a real rebuildable 340 with forged crank and x heads along with an 8 3/4 rear, I'd consider buying it. A longblock 340 will run you about $1k and an 8 3/4 rear runs anywhere from $500-$1k. At that point you've basically got parts that are worth about what you paid for the car and everything after that is gravy. If it's not a real 340 car, I'd swap out all the V8 parts to your slant car and then swap the slant stuff back into that one (or everything minus the motor) and resell it as running or as a roller. There's no sense in sinking money into that if it's not a real 340 car and if your slant car is clean.

What about the trans bolt up? Same pattern on thr v8 & /6?
I have a 73 i just picked up n wanna do the same. Although i read on wikipedia
That certain 1975 set ups could get you like 35mpg hwy.
Thats sounds awful tempting for a cool old cruiser too.

Some one who knows more may correct me, but I believe the 904 bell housing is different for /6 and v8. Making them not not interchangeable.

So the 904 is the torqueflite it mentioned? Are there any OD
autos thatll bolt up to the 225 or small blocks then go in the
Duster without a ton of mods?

What about the trans bolt up? Same pattern on thr v8 & /6?
I have a 73 i just picked up n wanna do the same. Although i read on wikipedia
That certain 1975 set ups could get you like 35mpg hwy.
Thats sounds awful tempting for a cool old cruiser too.

no the slant 6 and v8 transmissions do not interchange unless you buy the very expensive scarce as hens teeth adapter

and it was the feather dusters that got good fuel mileage but that was because of all the super light aluminum parts used and gearing and much more

hey sublimittrent, i have a good rebuildable 360, and tranny if your interested, and im around the corner in antioch. if interested let me know and we can talk

They make automatic overdrive transmissions i can put in that 73 behind either engine?

-
Back