Slant 6 with 200r4?

-

75slant6

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I know Wilcap can make adapters to mate a /6 with a 200r4. I was just wondering if anybody here has done this exact set up and if so what did the swap cost, what rearend gears are best for this set up, what's the rpms at 75mph, and what is the best mpg you've ever got? I hope to hear a lot of input!:cheers:

Over on slantsix.org .They are working on a group buy right now and has all the info.
Do a search. A guy over there that goes by Dart270 put a A500 in his 68 Dart. They say the 200R4 is much easier and less cost.

Last time I heard, it was a bunch of hooey. They have not made the adaptor for 5 years and it was not a seller so they are not going to remake anymore.

I talk to Wilcap just a few months ago and he said he doesn't advertise them anymore but he has all the plans for it and if someone wants one he can make one again. Another guy had emailed him the day b4 so he said he might make a few just to have em around so if someone wants one he can send one out right away.

Last time I heard, it was a bunch of hooey. They have not made the adaptor for 5 years and it was not a seller so they are not going to remake anymore.

That is the same problem that andyf over at ar engineering had with his factory based slant to small block adaptor. Their just wasn't enough interest in them and that was based on using a mopar trans in a mopar. If you are interested in the a500 swap username "dusteridiot" over at slantsix.org has the cad program and can tell you more. If you get on arengineering's website you can see a good picture of the slant adaptor that they used to make.

I can't get that link to work for me.

Can you post it again, please?

Thanks!

:eek:ops:

That's funny. It worked this morning. I just rechecked the link and find that webrodder is having server problems. It may be a day or so before they get it straightened out.

Anybody do this swap by now?

i know a bunch of the adapters are in the hands of owners but dont know of anyone who has finished...

to the rest of you a 200 needs no tunnel mods, allows me to use 4.88's and go 75mph at 3000rpm...

AND

first thru third are the same as a 904 so track day stuff is unchanged... but i have been thinking that a .68 OD may be to much...

Over on slantsix.org .They are working on a group buy right now and has all the info.
Do a search. A guy over there that goes by Dart270 put a A500 in his 68 Dart. They say the 200R4 is much easier and less cost.

Dart270 is my brother in law . I know that he has the wilcap adapter but as of this July he hasn't had the time to do the install .

Dart270 is my brother in law . I know that he has the wilcap adapter but as of this July he hasn't had the time to do the install .

yea last i heard he was busy...

i actually did all the leg work on getting the adapters for sale again

There's possibly a good reason why there wasn't much demand for the adapter. See what the link below does for you.

http://www.webrodder.com/article.php?AID=426&SID=6

It makes me laugh! My car runs a TH-200-4R, so does my wife's. Hers is a fire-breathing, rip-snorting 1986 Buick Grand National that put 763HP to the rollers and runs mid-10's on wrinkle-wall slicks at 3900lbs. It's a little easier on the trans than mine.

Yes, I said EASIER: mine is a 4600lb 1979 Coupe de Ville with a 542ci stroker Cad engine and 3.08 gears...12.40 on drag radials, 11.97 on nitrous. I have about 75,000 miles on the trans. It was worth a tenth (and 1.5MPG) over the TH-475/2.73 gear combo it replaced.

Note: we both run lockup converters.

The TH700 is OK, but the huge ratio splits (3.06 first gear!) are not good for a drag car.

So is an MT750 series Allison...but who cares? The TH-200-4R is more than strong enough, especially for a slant six A-body! A 3000lb car with a 225ci engine is NOTHING for a 200!

I don't care how many chebbie boy articles I see defending the 700, it's a piece of crap. They love it because 700 is more than 200 and if you don't believe me, ask some of them.

Sure, the 700 has some superior components, but overall it is a far inferior transmission to the 200. Anyone who says otherwise has never seen the two splattered apart on the bench. I have.

...and Jaraxle, I don't know about everybody else, but I will believe yours and your wife's cars when I see pics and I know it's yall. Until then I am callin serious bs.

I don't care how many chebbie boy articles I see defending the 700, it's a piece of crap. They love it because 700 is more than 200 and if you don't believe me, ask some of them.

Sure, the 700 has some superior components, but overall it is a far inferior transmission to the 200. Anyone who says otherwise has never seen the two splattered apart on the bench. I have.

...and Jaraxle, I don't know about everybody else, but I will believe yours and your wife's cars when I see pics and I know it's yall. Until then I am callin serious bs.

Per my wife's request, I will not post pictures of myself or my car. I think she's paranoid, but I will respect her wishes.

And note: I have seen a TH700 hold up behind a 502 crate engine in a Pace Arrow tag-axle motorhome, pulling a 6500lb enclosed car transporter (containing a Super Bee). The Bee also has a 700, behind its EFI 426 hemi. (The owner owns a shop that builds race/towing 700's.) My only real complaint with it is the large 1-2 ratio split.

-
Back