Slant clean-up and oiling question

-

BillGrissom

Reaction score
I thought it might help to share photos from cleaning up my 1964(?) slant engine, while installed in the car. The engine appears sound, since in turning it over by hand I must wait >5 sec for each piston to hiss down. I'll check compression later when hot. I adjusted the valves cold since I read <2 mil difference than hot specs. Only a few needed a ~2 mil tweak.

I removed both oil pan and valve covers, removed all old paint and rust (wire brush, chemical, sandpaper), and repainted. I used "Rust Destroyer" rattle can (claims 800 F), then Rustoleum rattle can engine paint (500 F) on both. Gloss black on the oil pan and a new "Metal Coat" paint I just ran across (main hint for others). The later requires their "Ground Coat" first, which looks like old "bumper chrome", though not needed if shiny metal. The valve cover looks great, which I can't quite capture it in a photo. I considered a cast aluminum Offenhauser, but never found a deal in years of looking.

I used silicone gaskets from Real Gaskets. They are pricey, but re-usable, and I have no problem paying to encourage their support for our classic engines. Nothing will frustrate more than an oil leak. I am so tired of the valve cover leak in my 1965 383 engine that I may remove the heads to machine a flat surface (like slant), now that I have a milling machine.

Internally, all I did was wash down the gunk at the top end, using gasoline, and cleaned the inner walls from below. I also changed the rear oil seal, using a set for my 383 engine (same PN). It already had the newer split rubber seal that you push around on top of crank. It didn't show a leak, but so hard to remove the oil pan (jack up engine) it is smart to replace while exposed. I also removed the oil pickup, soaked in gas overnight, and blew the carbon junk out of the screen.

Since this engine has been sitting a while (~3 yrs), and the gas wash, it seemed prudent to charge the oil passages. In small blocks (and I think big blocks), one can remove the distributor drive and use an electric drill to spin the oil pump via a special allen shaft. Not having the later, I long-ago rigged up a little garden sprayer as an oil charger. This seems the only option for a slant. I removed the little oil passage plug (near oil pump) and got clean oil, w/ no junk.

Finally, my question. I never got oil to the top end. I filled the oil pan, probably from dripping out the cam bearings. I removed the pressurizer and cranked the engine many times w/ starter (over several days to keep cool and recharge), but nothing at the rockers. I had drip catchers all ready (great use for campaign flyers). Perhaps since the pickup tube was dry, the oil pump doesn't turn fast enough from cranking to suck up oil. Anyone done similar? It will be a while before I can run the engine (electric fuel pump, new ignition & wiring).

I don't know what oil pressure this engine runs, since the switch port had a 3/8" plug installed (suspicious?). I must wait until I run the engine again to see if a problem, and I will have a pressure gage installed then. For now, I just poured oil over the top end. The engine ran perfect when I drove it home after buying. So quiet at idle you could barely tell it was running (even w/ points). I did have to hot-wire the ignition due to funky wiring.

A few side comments:

I painted just one side of the engine while clean and exposed. Do it in bits and someday it may all get painted in the car. I earlier painted the engine brackets while swapping the rubber. I found the passenger side bracket was bent, leaning the engine too much into the inner fender (spark wires could arc if touching). Somebody added spacers (old brake pads). I bent the bracket back w/ my shop press, so the engine sits better.

Later, while cleaning the K-frame to paint (suspension & steering out), I found the passenger side strut mount "dished in". Things are adding up to "accident". I swapped in a K-frame I picked up this summer at a swap meet. I would hate to do that swap once all parts are back in. I supported the engine w/ my engine lift.

I previously painted the firewall and inner fenders (working around the engine). I first removed the stupid "black rattle can over rust & grease" 'improvement' most gomers do, got to bare metal and sanded off all surface rust. Seemed smart while everything was off the firewall.

You can see the GM HEI ignition module I installed. I found a new electronic distributor on ebay cheap. I tested spark by spinning the distributor by hand. The pickup wiring is temp until I verify polarity (50% chance). Haven't run the engine with it yet.

I assume the original 1964 engine, though info the casting no tables I found are sketchy. It has 3 core plugs. Block casting: "2463430-8", date "8 12". Stamp on pad behind alt bracket: "V 22 8 14", head "2206035-4", date "8-9".

Please no fussing "why taking so long", since my wife and kids manage that. This convertible is one of 7 cars in our current fleet (lowest mileage 205K), and just for fun. I am also pool boy, gardener, appliance guy, house fixer, and full-time+ job. Just trying to get this car moving again so I can access the garage space, but I do everything right. Life is too short to "work erratic" (most people). It really wasn't much extra work to work around the engine. I hate disconnecting an engine and tranny.

Attachments

• valve cover.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 328
  • oil pressurization.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 321
  • oiling slant.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 340
  • head oiler.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 332
Ah that head looks nice & clean!

See here if this link works for you; it haas a /6 oiling systme diagram:
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=396331

Oil has to pass through the #4 camshaft bearing (like SB). Oil to the top is very slow and has to fill that long rocker shaft. I have to wait 30-60 seconds running to see oil coming out of the rockers holes; #6 rockers see it first, bein' downhill. I never need drip catchers when idling.... but the oil pressure at idle may be a bit low on my 52 year old /6!

Your head casting number matches for 64-66 per this:
http://flag.blackened.net/mopar/slant62.html

That article is not complete on the block numbers. For instance, my '62 block is 2202857-7. I assume you mean 3 freeze plugs; that is the older blocks style as I understand things. Also, your flat oil pump cover and pump casting style is the oldest type too; should have 6 mouting bolts in the housing.

nm9stheham, Thanks for the info. I filed it away, w/ every scrap of slant info I have found.

Fantastic if the original engine. Being a convertible, it may not have been driven much, or perhaps the engine was rebuilt. I wonder if 1964 engines came w/ a rope seal or the rubber 2-piece I found. My 65 Newport and 65 Dart also had a rubber rear seal, but all might have been "touched". I see some prior mechanic work, but w/ some gomer things (mixed up brake shoes).

I did get oil out the pressure sense port when I turned the engine over by hand (to clear debris), so the oil pump at least turns, and the gear on the camshaft looked OK from below. I'll definitely verify pressure before taking it off idle. In the past, rail drag racers often had just one gage in front of them - oil pressure. Amazing someone thought this engine didn't need it.

I call "freeze plugs" too, but many say they aren't really for freeze protection, but were simply a place to shake sand out of the casting, so I am trying to switch to the more proper "core plug" term. BTW, I have the block drain out since I have been drying all water (a few years should work) since I will use Evans Waterless Coolant so no more corrosion concerns. I switched my M-B cars to it with good results. I have the 1/4" NPT bushing in the drain plug hole because I use a GM 85-95 knock sensor there (plan Holley Commander 950 controller).

I am pretty sure the rope seal was original; my '62 FSM describes installing and trimming the rope seal. When it was stopped is a question, but this thread has a post where the poster had torn down his '76 Feather Duster 225 and found a rope seal.... but I can remember getting rope seals in a 383 BB gasket kit in 1980 so that '76's rope seal may not mean anything.
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=414137&highlight=main+seal#414137

If you ever get the rear cap off, see if the crank has a knurled pattern on it where the rear main seal rides, that was done for the early cranks with the rope seals. I assume it provided 'channels' for the rope seal to work the oil back in.... but that is a guess.

Good to look at the oil pump gear; sounds like you are aware of the later pump gear surface hardness issues. Here is a superb article on that:
http://www.slantsix.org/articles/oil-pump-gear/failure-fix-report.htm

LOL on the drying time.. may I suggest a blow dryer blowing through? Hope your block is clean inside; mine had about 1-1.5 " of plasticene-like 'gunk' in the back of the block (a coagulated mix of old collant residue and rust); pulling the block drain plug resulted in NO coolant flow!!

For cleaning sumps and pick-ups, I use a water based degreaser...it takes ya skin off, too.

Attachments

• 98 Holden VS III Ute V8 180,000km dirty 007_resize.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 264
  • 98 Holden VS III Ute V8 180,000km dirty 005_resize.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 259
  • 98 Holden VS III Ute V8 180,000km dirty 010_resize.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 240
  • 98 Holden VS III Ute V8 180,000km dirty 009.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 252
The slant seal isn't in the bearing cap (like SB & BB), but in a separate aluminum retainer that I removed. The crank did have slanted grooves on it, apparently to direct oil back towards the engine, the same as the grooves on the lip of the rubber seal. I only recall looking at the cranks in my 65 SB & BB before and they have similar grooves.

Usually I pull a rod cap off to inspect the bearing and change all if showing wear (dirt tracks or copper layer showing). I looked at one rod bearing on this engine and looked fine. If the rod bearings look good, I don't inspect the main bearings, since in past engines I always see wear on the rod bearings first.

I have one of those "night breather" air pumps that people with sleep apnia use. I left it puffing thru the block and radiator for several days. Our summers get very dry here (10% r.h.).

I don't use much gasoline at a time, catch it all in a pan, and it doesn't linger long. After mixing with the gunk, it is more like oil than gas. Nobody in my family smokes or plays with matches, and I don't think we have any incandescent bulbs left (stupid laws, ...). More often I use diesel (from my M-B). It is safer and actually works better since it lingers longer.

-
Back