Slant dies when put in gear.

-

hellfirechrome

Reaction score
I have a '66 with a 225 /6, and it's a 904 trans. The thing recently started sputtering and dying when in gear- runs/revs fine when in neutral or park. I brought the idle set screw up (more gas) and that does not help, but if I take it down it just dies. I have a 1920 carb, and MSD 6AL ignition. Is there a chance it's maybe my timing, or does it sound more like a fuel/carb issue? I know it's getting plenty of gas through the lines and like I said, it idles smooth and revs fine (until I put it in gear!).

First check the two simplest things. Your timing and vacuum. You should be anywhere around 5*-10* BTDC with the timing (make sure it doesn't ping if you go too far with it) and your vacuum gauge should read 18-21 or so. You can get away with 17 on the vacuum but anything below that and you'll start running into problems when the car goes into gear and drops the rpms.

sounds like a vacuum leak to me. Had a 72 that did that and would also fall on its face if you didnt power brake it in gear and feather the pedal. timing was right, carb was rebuilt.
had an exhaust leak and I think the intake had a crack that I never could find. Ran and idled decent all day long.

Sounds like carb to me. If the idle is too high, the sudden drop in RPM when you put it in gear can make the engine stall. (not to mention the strain it puts on the rest of the drivetrain) You should be able to bring the RPM's down to 500 in neutral without it stalling or running rough. It it does, try to readjust the mixture to smooth it out and try again. If adjustment won't do it, you probably have to pull it apart, clean it out, and put in a kit.

i was just having similar issues with my super six setup. i rebuilt the carb last year and did the swap. it worked great. the last few months it got to the point where it was on and off sometimes it owuld idle like crap then go away. then ;ast week it got to the point where when driving if i let off the gas, it would die. pulled it apart and found some rust sitting in the bottom of the bowl. i hit all passages with brakleen and air and noticed the throttle shaft was a little loose so i peened the edge of the carb base around the shaft to tighten it up. works nice again.

Didn't want to start another thread on the same topic.bttt
I've been dealing with the same problem on my /6. I did the full tune up.Points,condenser, cap,rotor,plugs,plug wires,and air filter.The carb and gas filter has been replaced.The engine has gotten way better,but once in a while it likes to jolt around in the engine bay like a looney in a strait jacket while it's in gear.
Yesterday I went at it again to tune the ride.I popped off the cap and rotor so I can readjust the points. This time I noticed when I was turning the cam back and forth I noticed that it has allot of wobble on the distributor shaft. Is that normal? Plus the vacuum advance is wasted too.

Frank

-
Back