Slant revival

-

falston1

Reaction score
I recently aquired a 62 Dodge D-100 pickup with a 225 slant in it. I'm going to try to restore the truck in the near future, but want to get the engine running before I start with the body. The engine is in nice shape and I just rebuilt the old 1920 carb. I'm assuming a new ignition system is preferred? Ultimately, I just want reliability and whatever mileage I can get out of the engine. What would y'all say would be the most reliable and economical combination for the old truck? I don't want to rebuild the engine yet, either. I'm on a budget at the moment. Thanks, Forrest.

Pertronix Ignitor - I put the basic one in my 72 Valiant because it's compatible with the stock coil. Installation is almost as easy as the directions say. It takes minutes not hours. Made a HUGE difference. Costs about $70. Pertronix also make a 40K volt coil thats compatable too. I plan on getting one at some point. Costs about $35

If you can find an electronic distributor, then an HEI module is cheap and easy (many posts). Otherwise, Pertronix is simplest. As mentioned, the original Ignitor is $70 on ebay and uses your existing coil and ballast resistor (required). The Ignitor II is ~$110 and closer to HEI. You can lose the ballast and you can run a better coil. Ignitor III is even better w/ MSD. To bypass the ballast, look for a male-male spade terminal and just clip both connectors together where the ballast was.

Thanks, I think I'll get a pertronix kit this winter. Just did a little research and thats definitely what I wanted. Cheap and easy. Any other little things to consider? I've heard mixed reveiws about the 1920 carbs. Is there a more reliable alternative?

I think the Carter YF is the simplest most reliable carb I have personally used, BUT I don't think it's a direct bolt on replacement. I don't remember for sure, but I think the throttle opens the opposite direction.

If you have an original 1920 that has all of its pieces it is not a bad carb. Parts store rebuilds are known to be very troublesome. The 1920 worked for years on many models. Read up on super 6 swaps if you want a little more power without a lot of modifications.

If you can find an electronic distributor, then an HEI module is cheap and easy (many posts). Otherwise, Pertronix is simplest. As mentioned, the original Ignitor is $70 on ebay and uses your existing coil and ballast resistor (required). The Ignitor II is ~$110 and closer to HEI. You can lose the ballast and you can run a better coil. Ignitor III is even better w/ MSD. To bypass the ballast, look for a male-male spade terminal and just clip both connectors together where the ballast was.

I'll have to dig a bit,but I do believe I have an electronic dist for our slants,just don't remember what year it was from !! I'm headed to NC in a couple of weeks for a Hot Air ballon ride,I could bring it with if you're interested !!

One important question is your throttle linkage. My 64 slant has a rod off the pedal that rotates. I don't know about a 62 truck. Later carbs use a cable throttle. I don't know if you can swap the two types of linkage on the carb shaft.

It has the rod linkage, but it's missing a piece on it where it hooks to the carb. And I have a electronic distributor on another engine sitting in my shop. I think the points pertronix conversion is all I'll need, thanks for the offer though. Next weekend I'll be shifting my focus back on my duster because I'll be getting my rear end for it back. Thanks for y'all's advice.

-
Back