Reaction score
just put plugs in this 63 dart /6 170
Thursday after they fouled .
and today they fouled again .
very bad miss

20170822_171418.jpg

20170822_171703.jpg

20170822_172015.jpg

Kudos on removing the washer. How are your valve seals? is your choke releasing? points OK, could be incomplete combustion. NGK ZFR5N's @ .035? 4's are hotter in NGK land.

Last edited:
Those are NGKs but not the ZFR5Ns, which will probably work better for you. Nevertheless, looks like you need to pay some attention to your carburetor and/or choke. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

Those are NGKs but not the ZFR5Ns, which will probably work better for you. Nevertheless, looks like you need to pay some attention to your carburetor and/or choke. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

Yep, that thing is running rich as heck. (so bad if fouls the plugs:D)

I'm a little on the fence about this what we're seeing on these plugs, actually. Could be rich running, could also be oil getting into the combustion chamber via any of the usual suspects (valve guides/seals, rings). If the black gunk on the plugs is completely dry and fluffy/powdery, that's fuel -- too rich. If the gunk is at all "wet" looking, and it's more gummy than powdery, that's oil. Severe cases of either are obvious; less-severe cases like what you're showing us aren't as obvious.

I'm a little on the fence about this what we're seeing on these plugs, actually. Could be rich running, could also be oil getting into the combustion chamber via any of the usual suspects (valve guides/seals, rings). If the black gunk on the plugs is completely dry and fluffy/powdery, that's fuel -- too rich. If the gunk is at all "wet" looking, and it's more gummy than powdery, that's oil. Severe cases of either are obvious; less-severe cases like what you're showing us aren't as obvious.
I a ajusted the carb seems les rich will drive a few days and go pull plugs again

-
Back