Slant six 904 VB in 727

-

my5thmopar

Life Long MOPAR Owner
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Late 1972 /6 904 from a Barracuda. I want to use the Valve body in my 1976 BB 727. It should work but, making sure before I put a TF-2 in it. Anything to be aware of for the swap? Thanks Craig

Compare the rooster comb that operates the neutral safety switch/reverse lamps. They changed over the years(not sure when). Then get the correct Neutral switch to match.I also believe you will loose the part throttle kick down. The 72 year may be when they came around,Not sure of that date too.

Compare the rooster comb that operates the neutral safety switch/reverse lamps. They changed over the years(not sure when). Then get the correct Neutral switch to match.I also believe you will loose the part throttle kick down. The 72 year may be when they came around,Not sure of that date too.

I have an early 1972 SB 904 too. Both have the three pin. You bring up a good point that I forgot about with the KD. The gurus will chime in but, I believe all late 3-pin /6 kicked in under heavy throttle. Correct...The SB 72 may or may not have the part down. If it has it, I think they kicked in easier but the guru will know.

Last edited:
Both valve body casting sections have date codes. Check them. All of these transmissions have already been apart several times; and possibly exchanged for a different unit. Also there are casting differences in the cases that make interchanging vbs sometimes inadvisable. Check the fitment in front of the rear servo to make sure the vb casting matches up with the case in that area.

Both valve body casting sections have date codes. Check them. All of these transmissions have already been apart several times; and possibly exchanged for a different unit. Also there are casting differences in the cases that make interchanging vbs sometimes inadvisable. Check the fitment in front of the rear servo to make sure the vb casting matches up with the case in that area.

I think you were helping on my ongoing 1976 440/727 issues. Does it matter which one I use if both fit? Or do I need to make sure it is the later with part KD.

Like KickDown said; the park rods are different. Most of the time I see the ptk vbs on the newer cases and like I said there is a difference in the case configuration right in front of the rear servo. I have a lot of transmissions come in with the old vb on the newer case and I rebuild them and I never hear any complaints, but I would think it wouldn't be right since they vent accumulators differently.

I took this one out of a SB/904 what is it and is it ok to use? Top 3410925, bottom 3410435 and separator 512. The clock date code looks like 71. Is it part KD and if not should I keep looking? Edit: I think it is PTK because of the extra section. But I really don’t know much about the part KD. I’ll have to check the 727 case for figment. Thanks Craig

4E4FA085-5505-4A8E-82B5-13A33BB8AB31.jpeg

8EB3B230-14F0-406D-A337-5AAA76ED6985.jpeg

BC28B7DF-01A5-425A-85D4-FA81B1336147.jpeg

AA020238-CC37-4BF1-9F01-544084DC44CD.jpeg

View attachment 1715374240

View attachment 1715374243

Last edited:
Used the one from SB/904 i installed a TF2. Drilled middle of the range. Working flawlessly.

Last edited:
-
Back