slant six build ideas

-

yellowdart72

Reaction score
Sorry guys for all the questions but I am trying to put a slant six together and I am running into some issues here. I had in mind to use some headers I don't know what brand they are or where they came from but I know they are slant six headers. I had in mind to use these headers with a stock cast iron 2 barrel intake but then how would I set up the choke system?

Any suggestions? has anyone out there ever mixed and matched aftermarket and stock manifolds? and if you did, how did you do it and were there any issues? Thanks

Attachments

• 20140309_162328.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 251
That is a set of (what looks like) Cliffard Headers, I have never seen the conected together but that don't mean they never did, and They will work great on your 225 or 198 slant 6.
But not a 170/6, I would think a good tech could help on the choke, I would run a manual choke if it was me.. Nice find :cheers:

That is a set of (what looks like) Cliffard Headers, I have never seen the conected together but that don't mean they never did, and They will work great on your 225 or 198 slant 6.
But not a 170/6, I would think a good tech could help on the choke, I would run a manual choke if it was me.. Nice find :cheers:

Thank You Memike!

Any time nothingbutdarts :D I enjoy helping when I can :glasses7: with all these great techs we have here :D

An electric choke would fix it, but I don't know if any 2 bbl carbs came with those. I don't recall seeing a photo of how the factory designed the 2bbl slant choke. I doubt the rod acts straight up like it does in the V-8 Carter BBD carbs.

Down the road, think fuel injection, like I am and some have already done. That will eliminate your choke issues. Simplest install is throttle body injection (TBI), though don't know of any that bolt up to a 2 bbl intake. All slant ones I have seen are MPFI, which is better anyway.

Memikes got the right idea. Those DO look like clifford slant 6 headers. I know they arent ford pieces for sure. Never seen slant six heades connected together though.

Those are early Clifford shorties. Later models had the flange split into two sections.
Read this thread for info on an electric choke. They are actually made to mount where the stock choke mounts on the exhaust manifold, but you should be able to fab a bracket to mount the choke in that location, so it works mechanically. The heat from the exhaust manifold is not required.
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12996

-
Back