slant six build

-

Mopar70Dart

Mopar Kid
Reaction score
Im thinking on junking my v8 block and building a slant six. Just curious as to what you think I will make hp wise if i were to buy the all motor goodies from pentastar parts?

'all the parts from pentastar parts'?
1.70-1.44 valves, ported head milled .080 and block milled .020, 268*.495 lift cam 112cl, 500cfm carb, stock lightened turbo pistons, cross drilled crank, stock oil pump, polished stock rods from 198 w/arp, full length header into 2 1/4 pipe, pentastar manifold or clifford=246hp,250lbs tq

I'm sure it's been said elsewhere before...but not all of the pentastar parts will work here in the US...not without serious alterations. Namely the exhaust parts they offer...RHD makes for some very different configurations than we have here.

Do it, ditch that front end heavy v-8 put in something different, get better handling and even drive a few twisties, oh yea when you pop the hood people will notice, and then the fun begins......

your right I just dont know about a v8 I think it would be pretty much like every other swinger with a v8 swap ( no disrespect to anyone who has done that though) but dont I have to buy fuel injection to run a turbo setup? I dont know anything about turbos so can I use a carb?

I'd say it's time to read up a bit on turbocharging, or supercharging...You can do either with a carburetor. Blow-through setups do require additional preparation to the carb, namely sealing any potential leak points that won't hold up to pressurization. Draw-through setups can use a carb equally well, provide it will flow enough to satisfy the much hungrier blower/engine combo. The guys over at www.slantsix.org will be able to set you straight.

Turbos' the way to go. Ever see how much power 10.5 outlaw cars make?

Here's a pic from Carlisle two years ago. Originally this car was fuel injected but the next year was supercharged.

attachment.jpg

I was thinking that my 2x2bbl offy intake could be pretty easily adapted to take a 4-71 or 6-71 blower. Nothing fancy from B&M or BDS, just a regular old blower off of a detroit diesel...top it with a plate drilled for the two sequential 2bbls, I think it could be a wicked little mill...anyone have any thoughts?

Thank you guys you have helped me alot. I am pretty much looking to build a fast 6 cylinder turbo or all motor really. Just curious as to what I would need to make 300 hp? Theres a guy on youtube claiming he has made 300 to 325 with his all motor slant six. I beleive its a green duster

i hope that you have budget to do this. Seems prey pricey, although some people have the fabrication skills to lower expenses. The sad part is thats its way cheaper to put in a v-8 than to build up a slant without skills.

If you already have a v8 car it will be much much cheaper to get to the 300-325 HP range with the v8.

There is a lot to be said for being different and I went that route with my Barracuda, see below, for 4 years but I do not regret for one second swapping the \6 for the 360 I have in it now.

Then:
Slant6.jpg

Now:
EngineIn1.jpg

As the current owner of the turbo setup in that article, I have a few warnings about that approach. I bought the setup from Wayne, installed it, but currently do not have any of the parts from that article on my car. Here's why.

1. Welding cast iron is very tricky. The flange cracked and probably would have fallen off if some other things hadn't encouraged me to pull the manifold. It's better to make a steel adapter pipe with a slant six flange on one end and a turbo flange on the other, and support the weight of the turbo.

2. The Mitsubishi TE04H is too small for a slant six - arguably, it may be too small for the 2.5 Turbo cars it originally came on. It can build 10 psi of boost at 1,500 RPM, which is below the torque converter's stall speed. At 3,000 RPM, it's out of breath. It can give you a monster hit down low, but if you have a serious power lust you will want a much bigger turbo.

Thanks for chiming in with the updates, Scientist.

Nothing is ever easy or straightforward!

-
Back