Slant Six Clifford Headers

-

76Scamp

Reaction score
So, I've read through most threads where people were asking about Clifford headers decisions to be made and whatnot, but I pulled the trigger and thought I'd share my experience. I recently acquired a 74 Dart Sport with a slant and 3 on the tree. The exhaust was falling off, so it needed to be done anyway and I had traded a race th400 to my exhaust guy for a couple exhaust jobs. Going by what I've read, I called to verify fitment and availability. After being told they will clear power steering and they had them, I ordered the slant six header. Ordered Thursday, had it by Tuesday. I installed the header yesterday and am currently sitting in the shop getting the system built. In all my intelligence, I neglected to ask about clutch rod and column linkage. It can be done, BUT!, you're exhaust guy will absolutely hate you. The headers clear everything just fine, the head pipes were a massive pain. We started at 6pm yesterday, and by midnight we had it done up to the mufflers. Making tailpipes right now. The finish of the headers is sub-par at best, but fitment and quality overall is really good given what they fit. I do recommend and would definitely buy again. But retaining the single barrel, there's basically no performance gains, just a better sounding exhaust. Next month will be a 2bbl upgrade.

20221101_234231.jpg

20221101_234236.jpg

20221101_234241.jpg

20221101_234829.jpg

20221101_234837.jpg

Looks good, i have a valiant 3 on tree /6. Good to know we also did a super six on it.

I put a a set on my slant in an 82 D150 manual A833OD. Even with all that room under the hood the exhaust guy was challenged to make it all fit. I should have done 2" downtubes instead of 2.5", but that's water under the bridge now. It fits but there's not a lot of clearance.

I put a a set on my slant in an 82 D150 manual A833OD. Even with all that room under the hood the exhaust guy was challenged to make it all fit. I should have done 2" downtubes instead of 2.5", but that's water under the bridge now. It fits but there's not a lot of clearance.
Same thing. I should've went with 2" tubes, but I went with 2.25." It is tight, but my exhaust guy made it fit. I had to be in the car working the clutch and shifting gears so he could see where and how everything moved to make sure he could get around it. The one pipe has about 7 bends in it to clear everything. I have a pair of Flowmasters on it and the idle and cruising sound is exactly what I was wanting, but it gets a very "Honda rice" sound and really annoying much over 3000rpm. But at idle, no clue it's not a stock 318 and same at cruise. We will eventually experiment with putting resonators in it and maybe different mufflers. Until then, I'll just have to deal with it. It's a daily driver with most of my 40 mile commute being on the highway where it sounds cool anyway.

313789627_5905767612787288_6907751824017745227_n.jpg

You have a good exhaust guy! I like his work.

-
Back