Slant Six Conversion Project

-

RobbAdams

Reaction score
I have officially recieved my 360, via a 1975 d200. I also recieved my new Carb, a Holley Street Avenger 670. Hopefully I will be able to pick up my intake manifold tonight.

I have a few questions

1) Motor Mounts - I have heard a truck mount can be used for the one side and the slant mount is able to be used on the other. can anyone confirm or deny this? What years of truck is the mount supossed to be from?

2) Exhaust Manifolds - Can i use the exhaust manifolds from the truck, or am I going to need something else?

3) Center Link - The car was originally a 273 car that was changed at some point to a slant six. How would I be able to tell what centerlink I have? Would the person who switched to a slant have had to switch to a slant center link?

If the car in question is the '66 Barracuda in your sig line, here goes.

1) Are we talking brackets or insulators? No way will the slant brackets work since they bolt to the block with bosses ala Blowtie, so you will need to find 273 brackets and space the driver's side to match the lugs on the 360 block. The passenger side insulator should work and the driver's side is available from Schumacher. You may be better off getting their conversion mount kit for the 360.

2) The only truck manifold I have heard of coming close to fitting is from a Dakota and it needs some judicious grinding and the steering box coupler needs some trimming as well.

3) There should have been no reason to change the centerlink to put in a slant.

Hope this helps.

Will a set of 318 manifolds work. I'm sure they would be restrictive, but Tti's are not in my budget for now!

Whoooooopieeeee, I just ordered the Comp XE 262 cam, and Lifters, they will be here on Friday!

Still loking for Exhaust manifold Help.

if you are using factory manifolds then you need a drivers side for a 66 cuda 273. it kinda wraps around the steering column-shaft. also not too easy to find. im sure that it may be possible to find a pass side manifold that dumps out at the very rear and use on the drivers side. i MAY still have a manifold that you need. ill check later

the center link you have, if it is the 273 link will work. they bend down in the center to clear the oilpan. i can also post a pic of this if needed.

If you need a drop centre link I have a spare - but very likely the one in the car will work. the drop link is ±2" vs the non-drop is more like 1/2". you will need the drop type to clear the 360 pan.

I'd buy a cheap set of headman headers vs trying to guess what manifolds will work and then try to get pipes to fit - JMO

The 273/318 manifolds are too restrictive for a 360. the ports on a 273/318 are a lot smaller than a 360 and it would be like putting a cork in your exhaust. I would go with headers, and deal with the fitment, at least they won't restrict the flow. Just my 2 cents.:-D

Got the headder issues straightend out, I am waiting on delivery of my Spitfire set.

I am wondering about the mopar performance cast aluminium valve covers, will they work on my car? I have heard that some taller valve covers will not clear the heater box?

Got the headder issues straightend out, I am waiting on delivery of my Spitfire set.

I am wondering about the mopar performance cast aluminium valve covers, will they work on my car? I have heard that some taller valve covers will not clear the heater box?

The valve covers might have issues with the headers.

Do you have a Car oil pan? The 360 truck one, supposedly will Not work,
in an Abody car.

You have a small block V8 tranny?

Whats your plans for a starter? I suggest getting a small one,
like used on mid 90's Dakota pickups, Full size Dodge Vans, etc..
with a V6 or V8.

I suggest using copper exhaust gaskets between the heads, and the headers. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-111420&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Do you have a heavier duty rear end, Or a spare,
incase the 360 breaks the stock wimpy 7 1/4"??
{Or were you lucky, and the car has an 8 3/4" already. ;) }

Good luck with your project. :)

sum-111420.jpg

sum-111420.jpg

sum-111420.jpg

My car has an 8 1/4 rear end, should live a reasonably long life back there8)

I have been running a modern starter for a while on my slant, and will be using it on the 360.

I was informed of the oil pan on another thread, but have not sourced one yet.

I had a line on a small block 904, but have not been able to reach the fellow in the last week or so so I hope it is still available for me:dontknow:

My car has an 8 1/4 rear end, should live a reasonably long life back there8)

I have been running a modern starter for a while on my slant, and will be using it on the 360.

I was informed of the oil pan on another thread, but have not sourced one yet.

I had a line on a small block 904, but have not been able to reach the fellow in the last week or so so I hope it is still available for me:dontknow:

it's still available,if i promise something it's not going to enyone else.....
i've been on hollydays so i didn't spent to much time online.....

for the oilpan and pickup phone tom (dartnut) he has several............

barry

Whoooooo Hooooooo!

Glad to hear from you muller. :wav:

I was not implying anything rude, not to worry.

Im just paranoid.:happy10:

Tom and I have exchanged some PM's regarding the oilpan and pickup, I just have not heard from him in a bit. I'm sure it will all work out.

I'm going for our last camping trip of the year this weekend, and then I will be fully focusing on getting this swap done. I really want to get it in before it snows, so I can take it down to Race city for Friday Night Secret Street!

just did this swap myself. before i found this forum. would have saved me a lot of headaches but here goes....

1. headers/manifolds....i got the hedman tight tubes. tight is definitely the key word here. they will not clear your manual steering box (power? forget about it). had to beat them in pretty bad on the driver side then grind some of the box away as well but eventually they fit. i've had to take them back off and it was really not too difficult, just had to unbolt the motor and raise it up a little to get them out. the problem is that they dump DIRECTLY into the k-member and steering linkage. major custom work to get the rest of the exhaust routed without hitting anything and it is SUPER tight. one more thing, my 360 had egr heads with tiny round ports directly below the main exhaust ports. the headers will not cover these so seal them up so we had to drill, tap, and plug the ports. found this out the hard way but if you have the motor out now is the time to check and address the problem.

2. oil pan / center link.....you need the center sump oil pan from a later car. my motor came from a 77 plymouth wagon and it had the correct oil pan. i am still looking for a drop center link but there is a gnat's *** hair of clearance. we used the bfh on the oil pan and it works but still needs to be replaced. you said your car originally was a v-8 so you should be good to go with your center link.

3. tranny....your /6 tranny will not work. need a v-8 trans.

4. valve covers...i'm running some old cal custom v/c's and there's no apparent clearance issues.

if you have any questions, i'm glad to help. email me at [email protected]

good luck!
-tim

Hey, Robb, all you have to do is e-mail me or Barry and tell us when you could pick up the oil pan and tranny stuff. It's alot easier for me if you would let me know IF and when you would like to set up a date when you can come down here if you are still interested. Let Barry or I know asap so we can arrange it, and ether phone or e-mail me within 2 weeks, or I will consider that you are not interested anymore in the parts, as we have been chasing each other around over this for over 2 months, and we have been waiting on you about this. As far as headers, go to Mopac and price them out. (403)394- 3730 or [email protected] Tom.:poke:

converting from a 904 to a 727 you will need to change the drive shaft and yoke!

Jason
1971 Dart

he's getting a 904 with the b&m flexplate...so he can use his own driveshaft...and allso take mine so he has a spare one

greetz,
barry

I love it when my parts get delivered to the office, it always makes the rest of the day seem happier, and my wife doesn't ***** that I am spending more money on the car!

IMAGE_018.jpg

IMAGE_018.jpg

IMAGE_018.jpg

I love it when my parts get delivered to the office, it always makes the rest of the day seem happier, and my wife doesn't ***** that I am spending more money on the car!

Hey, I joined that "have mopar parts delivered to the office club. :angel9:

-
Back