Slant Six engine numbers issue

-

Mjsaw2k

Reaction score
Hi! I finally have my Dart back with me, and i wanted to focus on the engine.
I have searched these and the SS forums for answers and i am still in doubt about my slant six's origin.

The numbers under the alternator say: FW225R L 3066 0643
wich tell me it's a 225 BUT the fender tag says: LL41B08178867
wich tells me it's a 198 engine. The engine has never been swapped before. Should i just assume this is an error? or am i wrong? this car is very confusing.

I attached some images in case i am getting something wrong, this is my first Slant six.

20190225_184311.jpg

20190920_130829.jpg

in 1970 the "B" code was for 225/ 1bbl,
and where your Vin has an "8" in the seventh position, my decoder has letters for N.American production plants.

Thank you for clarifying! i always thought that "B0" meant 198/ Carter 1bbl. If i'm not mistaken the "8" means Export, which would make sense since this car was assembled in peru.

TIL?
MIL I know
TTYL I know.
even LOL.

But not TIL,lol.

Today I Learned = TIL

I’ve actually learned quite a lot today regarding my engine, specially this which is the most important thing before I move on to the last part of this project

FW225R L 3066 0643

F: 1970 model year
W: Engine built at Windsor, Ontario Canada
225: Engine displacement
R: Passenger car engine

L: Low compression ratio (for export to countries where the available gasoline had lower octane than was available in North America)

3066: Engine built on 19 December 1969

0643: Not relevant outside of factory

LL41B08178867

L: Dart
L: Low trim/price class
41: 4-door sedan
B: 198 cubic inch engine
0: 1970 model year
8: Vehicle build factory identifier—"8" is not within the North American factory network; given the body plate it would seem to indicate a Peruvian build plant.
178867: Vehicle serial number

So you have a mismatch between your engine's ID number and your car's VIN. Possible reasons for this:

• Different engine codes used in cars built in Peru/in cars built outside North America. Certainly wouldn't be the first time.

• A replacement engine

• A mistaken VIN stamp of "B" instead of "C" or "E". This happened plenty often in the North American plants, and we see an interesting double-stamp on the car's body plate, so that's not out of the question, either.

Either way, looks and sounds like an interesting car! Show us some more pics, will you?

F: 1970 model year
W: Engine built at Windsor, Ontario Canada
225: Engine displacement
R: Passenger car engine

L: Low compression ratio (for export to countries where the available gasoline had lower octane than was available in North America)

3066: Engine built on 19 December 1969

0643: Not relevant outside of factory

L: Dart
L: Low trim/price class
41: 4-door sedan
B: 198 cubic inch engine
0: 1970 model year
8: Vehicle build factory identifier—"8" is not within the North American factory network; given the body plate it would seem to indicate a Peruvian build plant.
178867: Vehicle serial number

So you have a mismatch between your engine's ID number and your car's VIN. Possible reasons for this:

• Different engine codes used in cars built in Peru/in cars built outside North America. Certainly wouldn't be the first time.

• A replacement engine

• A mistaken VIN stamp of "B" instead of "C" or "E". This happened plenty often in the North American plants, and we see an interesting double-stamp on the car's body plate, so that's not out of the question, either.

Either way, looks and sounds like an interesting car! Show us some more pics, will you?

Oh here we go again...could it be possible for the engine to be changed because of the original owner requesting an automatic transmission?

I still am in contact with him and he sure tells me he has never changed that engine, but the a904 trans was put in afterwards. I even have all the papers from this car, apparently in 1971 it was used inside Chrysler Peru itself, then sold to the owner before me, he did request that transmission change to Chrysler itself.

At the end of the day, i think I can trust what the engine says more than what the VIN says. I have to add that that VIN I uploaded, is the ONLY VIN there is, all the other ones have never been there. This just shows how...odd things worked in Peru back when it had assembly plants.

-
Back