Slant six fly wheel and clutch on a 318?

-

lud

Reaction score
I have a 1963 225 slant six attached to a A833 manual 4 speed transmission. I want to replace the old old one slant, with a 318 from 1985, I know the bellhousing is different between the two engines. But will the flywheel and clutch work? It's a 9 3/4inch clutch. Also, if anyone is located in Michigan and has the bellhousing I need lmk, thank you!

you can re drill the flywheel bolt pattern.
the bigger difference is the slant uses a 122 tooth flywheel
the 318 uses a 130 tooth flywheel.
the 318 flywheel is a bigger diameter, the slant flywheel will not mesh with the starter in the 318 flywheel housing.

Brewer's has the bellhousing you need, it's for the early A body with a 273, 122 tooth flywheel, 9.5" clutch. He will have the clutch linkage and brackets you will need to switch from the slant 6 to your 318 too. Motor mounts you will have to look for early A body 273 mounts.

Looks like Brewer's is out of the flywheel you would need to fit the 273/318. You would have to search here, or swap meets, or the internet for a 122 tooth V8 flywheel. Or you could switch everything over to a 10.5/130 tooth clutch and bellhousing setup.

I went down that route years ago. It is fairly easy for a 318 to "flash" the stock 273 clutch setup. There is a reason that the 318 came with a 10.5 clutch setup from the factory.

One other thing is the diameter of the flywheel center hole. 67 and older slant six, and small block had a smaller center hole then the 68 and newer. Flywheel center hole needs to match the engine, or be either machined or bushed (depending on which way converting).

-
Back