slant six..is my distributor going bad?

-

1971dodgedart/6

Reaction score
okay i found the issue with the power now its all working great, starts right up...but runs like $#!T .. i have new plugs, wires, cap and rotor and cleaned the points, i checked the firing order over and over again. i hooked up my timing light:
#1 cyl- spark every few seconds, erratic though
#2-good spark same with 3, 4
#5- not as bad as cyl 1 but still misses
#6- NO SPARK AT ALL!

my ammeter rides strong on the D side and is jumpy.. is this my distributor? please help me

It looks like the cylinders that have the longest spark plug wires are the ones with the weakest spark and the ones with the shortest have the best spark. Possibly a weak coil can't get the fire down the longer wires? You've changed everything else, might try a different/new coil.

If you are putting your timing light down by the plug try putting it close as you can to the cap and see if you can pick up a flash there.

Chuck

You may want to check out why your ammeter is discharging. Is that at idle or what? If so that's probably normal with a bad/slow idle. If it's discharging while running faster then you have to fix it first before you tackle your spark problem. Your firing order is 153624 clockwise.

If it turns out to be your dizzy drop me a line I have one in excellent condition for 25 bucks.

You may want to check out why your ammeter is discharging. Is that at idle or what? If so that's probably normal with a bad/slow idle. If it's discharging while running faster then you have to fix it first before you tackle your spark problem. Your firing order is 153624 clockwise.
yes it at idle and it flys to the right pegging past the D when you gas her up. what would i check or do to fix this?

It looks like the cylinders that have the longest spark plug wires are the ones with the weakest spark and the ones with the shortest have the best spark. Possibly a weak coil can't get the fire down the longer wires? You've changed everything else, might try a different/new coil.

If you are putting your timing light down by the plug try putting it close as you can to the cap and see if you can pick up a flash there.

Chuck
i was thinking the same thing about the cylinders.. im going to try that tomorrow..you might be right its an accel coil i bought 2 or 3 years ago there cheap i might go for it. it just seems odd to have absolutely no spark on cyl 6.. thats sad. it wouldnt be the points would it? im guilty of not gapping them with a lash gauge if so would anyone know the lash gap i would set them at?

-
Back