Slant six or v8 swap for use in a truck

-
If you are going to tow over about 4,000 lbs, you need trailer brakes. My race car and trailer are a little over 4,000 lbs and I have 4 wheel electric brakes. Wouldn't tow without them, the way people don't give you any stopping distance in front of you. Leave a gap, and some idiot will fill it. (then slam on their brakes).
PS: Don't forget the trailer breakaway brake system.

remember that. Thats why i stuck with a /6 in my 85. every weight class has a couple of GVWs within. MY D150 is the lightest at 4800 gvw which wasnt gonna change no matter what engine was in it. or how much I beefed up springs and such. itws what THAT truck was originally rated for. I've had D150s that were rated at 6000gvw. Still a " 150" but more capable than my current one.
My 83 d250 could have came with 1 of 3, GVW packages. Mine was the middle at 7500. the lighter one was less than 7000, the heaviest one was like 8500. still all D250s. but one truck of a given weight class may bea "heavier" version than one that seems "just like it".

and some D150s came with 10" rear brakes while others the same year came with 11s. some came with 4 leafs, some came with 5, others came with 6 leaves....

Some caveman painted over it :/

20230317_221836.jpg

20230319_194626.jpg

20230319_194621.jpg

20230319_194615.jpg

Top right. See if you can make it out better directly than we can in the picture.
I vaguely see "kg" but no number before that
The "pound's " rating will be before the "kg" one

X2 on what Charrlie said, if you're towing much of a trailer I'd for sure get the trailer brakes. My trailer alone is 1800 lbs, with much of a load it's well over 3000 lbs. I wouldn't tow more than that without brakes.

Also, you may want to look at air bags. My truck rides like a Cadillac when empty. However, it gets pretty saggy in the back end when I start adding weight. I didn't want to give up the nice ride to add helper springs to keep the rear end level. So I added these air bags and really like them. They have only about 5 PSI in them when putting town around empty. I have about 60 PSI in them when hauling something heavy. It's the best of both worlds. They were a PITA to install but it was a worthy upgrade.

dscn1154-jpg.jpg

I love the slant and the uniqueness, it also just makes my truck seem more ratty (which is what I'm going for) I have p235 75 r15 tires on my truck, and a A833OD with a 3.23 rear end. I can't remember what it is, I think a 9 1/4 axle. But the sound of a v8 can't be replaced, the power can't either but how much power do I really need. I've made up my mind I think tho, to keep the slant. It's an amazing engine that's already in it, has low miles, runs amazing and starts evertime. I've been around it in and out. I like the idea to mill the head and change the valves, but first I'm going to mess with the electrical bits and the timing.

View attachment 1716084254

View attachment 1716084255

View attachment 1716084256

View attachment 1716084261
That's an 8.25" rear as stated above. Putting the larger tires on was the equivalent of putting a 2.99:1 gearset in it, and the OD top gear is the combined equivalent of adding 2.18:1 cogs out back, good grief what do you expect from that poor Slanty!! I'd toss the 3.73's in it, the new comparative final drive ratio'd be 2.52:1, if that's important to You. Personally I dislike the OD 4spd, but if I wanted to use it in Your application, I'd put 4.10's in it for a final comparative top gear of 2.77's & plenty of pulling torque to get going...and easy on the clutch.

That's an 8.25" rear as stated above. Putting the larger tires on was the equivalent of putting a 2.99:1 gearset in it, and the OD top gear is the combined equivalent of adding 2.18:1 cogs out back, good grief what do you expect from that poor Slanty!! I'd toss the 3.73's in it, the new comparative final drive ratio'd be 2.52:1, if that's important to You. Personally I dislike the OD 4spd, but if I wanted to use it in Your application, I'd put 4.10's in it for a final comparative top gear of 2.77's & plenty of pulling torque to get going...and easy on the clutch.
Lmao, I know I know, didn't know the exact math, so this is very helpful. Thank you

X2 on what Charrlie said, if you're towing much of a trailer I'd for sure get the trailer brakes. My trailer alone is 1800 lbs, with much of a load it's well over 3000 lbs. I wouldn't tow more than that without brakes.

Also, you may want to look at air bags. My truck rides like a Cadillac when empty. However, it gets pretty saggy in the back end when I start adding weight. I didn't want to give up the nice ride to add helper springs to keep the rear end level. So I added these air bags and really like them. They have only about 5 PSI in them when putting town around empty. I have about 60 PSI in them when hauling something heavy. It's the best of both worlds. They were a PITA to install but it was a worthy upgrade.

View attachment 1716084609
Personally not a fan of airbags, no reason just have zero experience with em.

Put a nice set of a little wider nice looking smaller circumference tires or will be a good improvement and easy to do. That is why the factory put them on the truck

I never under why they called for such teeny tires on those.
Yours is same suspension, give as mine.
My 99 Dakota actually was rated 400# heavier than my 85.

-
Back