slant six radiator on a 318?

-

eviper21

Reaction score
can it keep it cool? i know they have additives and stuff that can help but still.

anyone? anyone?

If the engine remains stock or near stock, the /6 rad can or should be able to handle it. Use a shroud and a viscous fan to cool it all down. You will be taxing the system. A V8 rad is really what you need. Been there done that.

I have a 72 coronet with a 318. Had the engine rebuilt when I got the car 7 years ago- pretty much stock, better crank+pistons. Ran the car for 6 years and 20,000 miles without issue, found out the engine builder was a dirtbag and used bad parts. At the same time that I took the engine out (again) I decided to get a new radiator. Found out that the radiator that was in the car was a 6 cylinder radiator. I replaced it with another 6cyl radiator. I have only driven the car a few miles since the latest rebuild, but the last 6cyl radiator kept it cool for 6 years, except for one occasion in heavy traffic for several hours on a hot day NYC.

I have a 72 coronet with a 318. Had the engine rebuilt when I got the car 7 years ago- pretty much stock, better crank+pistons. Ran the car for 6 years and 20,000 miles without issue, found out the engine builder was a dirtbag and used bad parts. At the same time that I took the engine out (again) I decided to get a new radiator. Found out that the radiator that was in the car was a 6 cylinder radiator. I replaced it with another 6cyl radiator. I have only driven the car a few miles since the latest rebuild, but the last 6cyl radiator kept it cool for 6 years, except for one occasion in heavy traffic for several hours on a hot day NYC.

so for there did not keep it cool when u needed it most
so no its does not work

Ihave a 6 rad on my 67 cuda 360 blade fan drive it all the time. It will go to 210 in heavy traffic in the city but usually around 180 when rolling. meant to say 4 blade fan no problems.

Hot days In NYC can be an easy 95*+, never mind on the tarmac in traffic. Nothing like feeling the heat off the road huh?

Well, im in SOCAL on the beach...its 85+ MAYBE a month out of the year. There is quite a bit of traffic tho...ill try and find a v8 one eventually. But the v6 should get my car running at least from what im hearing. Of course if I come across one ill snatch it up

If it is in good shape, you should be fine. Mine wasn't the best flowing unit and the bolt on's w/cam were a bit taxing to the system when hot, outside, like Schneiderman and I were saying. When it got real hot outside here, it would overheat.

eviper21, what year is your car? The 73+ V8 A-bodies used 26" radiators and when the F-body volare/aspen were introduced in 1976, those 26" radiators were carried over from the A-bodies. I have a 26" radiator OEM never re-cored out of a 78' volare 318-4bbl with A/C, 904 auto trans all factory. I live near knott's berry farm but if you're seriously interested i'm sure we can work something out! Shoot me a PM if you want thanks, -Dan :)

The slant six radiators I've encountered have had different outlet/inlet sizes than the V8 version, so I'm curious how the hoses were adapted.

I'm pretty sure the 73+ 225's will have had either the 22" or 19" from the factory but the opening in the radiator support is 26". All the smaller radiators had brackets to fill the space i'm not sure about the inlet/outlet size thing though...

im gonna try and pick up and aftermarket aluminum one for pretty cheap. But its made for a camaro. Hopefully it works. I just have to get the dimensions

-
Back