Slant six timing.

-

Smokedya

Reaction score
My distributor failed and now I gotta redo the timing because I'm way off. I noticed I don't have a timing mark anywhere.... I've tried finding tdc on the first cylinder and I failed miserably. Is there something that i'm doing wrong?? I took out the spark plug and I thought I had it on tdc but I was wrong.. I'm lost and don't know what I did wrong. It's a 225 73' dodge dart custom.

first put a numbered tag on each wire, then pull all the plugs, so it turns easy. hold a finger on no 1 hole and turn it over by hand. if there is no damage to the inside you will feel the air come out the no 1 hole. the crank marker should be short of the "0" mark. take it a little closer you are ready to set the dist. but i forget how. as the gear on the dist has to be put in just right. iam sure the experts here can help.

I tried to find a picture with the location of where it is supposed to be. I also tried to find a diagram of the pacing between the marks so I can try to make one and get it as close as I can.

Do you have a piston dead stop tool?

Put one in the #1 spark plug hole and turn the engine intil it hits the stop. Put a mark on the vibration damper. Then reverse the direction and turn the engine in the opposite direction until it stops. Place a mark on the damper. Now find the center point between the two marks, and that is your TDC....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-67581

I didn't even know this existed. I will see if autozone or oreilly sell one tomorrow and go get one. Thank you krazy!

-
Back