Slap Stick

-

limegreen70

Pokorny Enterprise's
Reaction score
Anyone install a E/B body slap stick in a stock floor shift A body? Just wondering if it's just a bolt in deal.

Laurel and Hardy did it once but the ladder kept interfering with the clutch.

Sorry just had to!

The best automatic shifter ever made. My friend that drove GM cars was always jealous. Slap that stick, squawk second gear and smile.

"Second gear scratch" :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys. I remember dad had a 71 E body slap stick in his 70 swinger. I honestly think he didn't have to modify anything for it to work. It's been years though.

Thanks for the replys. I remember dad had a 71 E body slap stick in his 70 swinger. I honestly think he didn't have to modify anything for it to work. It's been years though.
Give it a nudge and let us know. I'm not familiar with how the rod hooks to the shifter but it shouldn't be anything that couldn't be modified to work. As long as the throw or movement between gears is the same as the stock floor shifter, all the linkage could be used.

The throw and some linkage is different. I used the slap stick shifter and a combination of parts. I put this stuff into a 4 gear car. I believe @dusmon converted his auto car over to the slap stick. Kim

If the throw of the shifter is different, logic tells me that you would just need the matching lever for the transmission for it to work. I dont know if the throw is different but the conversion should be pretty straight forward once the shifter is bolted in place.
Most likely you should be able to use all the E body levers, shifter, linkage but may have to shorten the rod. You would want to shorten it at a straight section or else it can change the throw.
Honestlty, I love the stock floor shifter. They work great with my reverse manual valve bodies. I would assume a slapstik would not work with RMVB.

I put a slapstick in my duster shifter out of a 78 Cordoba body style. So taller shifter rod. used 68 a-body z bar. Had to drill a hole in z bar to get proper ratio to work.

-
Back