sleeper dart custom

-

mikebee

now's the new later...
Reaction score
just bought this dart custom...built 318,904 and 3.55 geared 8&3/4....runs decent for no headers and U 340 heads.

Also it's mostly original paint and very little to no rust.

Attachments

• 4 dr dart.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 450
  • imagejpeg_0.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 411
About 2 yrs ago. I bought it from the guy that built the motor. He had left the 2bbl on it and it ran like garbage! So I added the AirGap and Eddy carb, as well as the Eddy air cleaner. I also had put Mopar Performance valve covers on it. It had a 7.25" rear in it when I sold it also. Glad it was replaced, I had already blown up one 7.25 with it!

I've got some basic specs on the motor somewhere, I'll see if I can find them. Essentially a rebuilt 318 with flat tops, Comp268 cam and U heads. Not sure if they're 2.02s or 1.88s.

Thanks! And I'm almost positive that all u heads were 2.02 and came on 71 340s.

Any info and pix are appreciated.

I'm working out some wiring issues now but it seems to run good..I'll be taking it to the strip soon,then put some 318 heads on it and see how much it picks up.

Alright, here is the story of Goldie as best as I can remember.

The guy I bought it from, PJ I think, was an Asheboro NC Police Officer, as well as an avid Mopar guy. He was in the process of restoring a 56k mile '71 Swinger 318 sunroof car.

One day on patrol he received a call about a stolen car, the '72 Dart, Goldie. While he's taking the report from the owner of the car, it drives by the house. So he follows in a high speed pursuit. The thief, the owners crack head sister, managed to blow up the motor in the car. She was arrested, yadda, yadda, yadda. The car was then returned to the owner. PJ offered to buy it from the owner. After he acquired it, he decided to put the rebuilt 318 out of his '71 Swinger into Goldie.

As I was told, the 56k mile 318 in the '72 has been bored .030", flat top pistons, Comp 268 cam set with lifters and springs. And if I remember correctly one head was a "J" and the other was a "U", but maybe I'm wrong. The stock iron 2bbl intake and carb was on the motor with the stock air breather, it ran like crap. So I pulled the stock intake/carb off and replaced it with an Eddy AirGap and Eddy carb. I also added the Eddy air cleaner and a pair of new Mopar Perfomance valve covers. Then I blew up the stock 7.25" rear end the following weekend! Then I replaced it with another 7.25" out of a '72 Dart slant six car.

Then I traded it for a '70 Swinger.

Wow!...cool story and it does have a u and j still...doesn't sound like a 268 tho.I'm thinking it's going to run a low 10 at best in the 8th.
there's no ps belt on it now and when I put one on it it spun to the left and I couldn't move it.I tried moving the valve body and it made no difference at all so I think I'll put a manual box on it.

Thanks for the info vntned!

Yep. The steering box was fubar when I had it. It's pretty rough to drive with that belt off!

Great find. That thing looks like a real cream puff.

I experienced a similar power steering issue on a dart I had years ago. It had me baffled and I too was considering a switch to a manual box. Luckily I met an older gentleman that had run across the same problem and suggested that I replace some o-rings in the steering box. Turns out he knew what he was talking about. If I were you, I would give that a try before I did anything else.

Great find. That thing looks like a real cream puff.

I experienced a similar power steering issue on a dart I had years ago. It had me baffled and I too was considering a switch to a manual box. Luckily I met an older gentleman that had run across the same problem and suggested that I replace some o-rings in the steering box. Turns out he knew what he was talking about. If I were you, I would give that a try before I did anything else.

i figure that's what it is and may try that first,but really just like manual better....not too easy and not too hard...it's just right for goldierocks.

Pulled the heads.51 days apart and 2.02 intakes.look great.

it started popping through the carb so I did a compression check...65 lbs in 4 & 6 and didn't find anything wrong...wts ???

20160505_183530.jpg

20160505_183524.jpg

20160505_183732.jpg

Those goldish looking exhaust valves are probably your popping problem on 4 and 6...burnt and leaking. Maybe
handlap them as a cheap repair? Possibly caused be a lean condition.
Nice car, btw!

Those goldish looking exhaust valves are probably your popping problem on 4 and 6...burnt and leaking. Maybe
handlap them as a cheap repair? Possibly caused be a lean condition.
Nice car, btw!

I noticed that but that's not the head that had the problem...it just about has to be valve trouble tho...the heads will see the vet b4 i use em on anything else.

thanks!

Sweet! What do the pistons look like and how far down in the hole are they?

Pistons look great and bore still looks perfect....I'll check today on how far in the hole they are.
.030 and part number on piston 258 or 268 i think with small valve reliefs.

Found out a new way to polish the inside of the timming cover and oil slinger!...you put the felt oil catcher
(that usually goes in the back of the balancer if you're a normal person with no ambition)
inside the timming cover between the seal & slinger and then drive 20 or 30 thousand miles...polishes them both very nicely.

O and btw it was #8 exhaust lobe worn down to a nub that was causing all the drama in the 318.

-
Back