Sleepers...

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
A post ,dedicated to wrong stuff, that sledgehammer on the 1320
Best in my memory: 11's ,high 10's ... in a Marina blue 4 door Impala..
Drove my Camaro buddy, nuts..
Share yours....

It’s a cool summer evening as the young man comes to a stop at the red light. He is thinking that it is the last light for quite a distance and what better time than now to test his latest adjustments on his tuner car. The exhaust is ringing with that new Turbo tail pipe that he just installed and the throttle response is immediate. As he quickly scans the gauges to see if everything is in order for a solid run he hears a rumble that at first sounds as though his exhaust is coming apart or leaking. He now notices an older gentleman pulling up in the lane next to him. Ah…thank goodness he thinks, it is his car that is doing the rumbling. The old fellow must be hard of hearing and does not realize his exhaust is making such a noise or perhaps he does not have the money to have his exhaust fixed. The young guy looks over and realizes that it is an old man, and he is driving an “old” car (complete with roof rack) as well. He remembers his father telling him of such a car and fun vacations so many years ago. With a great deal of pride the youngster decides to rev his engine to let the old guy know just what is sitting beside him and the performance the “old coot” is about to witness when the light turns green. As he revs his engine he notices that the older guy never looks over but stares straight ahead. But something else catches the young man’s attention… it is a scoop that begins to rise up out of the hood of the old four door relic complete with roof rack. With very little concern he is wondering what is happening to the old man’s car he begins to press the accelerator of his “tuner car” anxiously waiting for the green light and his chance to show his car off to all who may be watching. But the rumble from the old white car gets louder and stronger as well and the young man begins to wonder if this old gentleman is challenging his finely tuned automobile. It was then that the light turned green and the young man’s foot jumped off of the brakes as his other foot slams the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and his tires begin to smoke as they spin as they try to grip the asphalt for the launch. To the young man’s amazement he notices that his wheels are spinning and grabbing aggressively but the old white car is now moving forward and his is at a standstill…how could this be his speedometer shows 35 in a heartbeat and his engine is singing at the red line on his tach, but it is as though he is not moving because the amazing old four door car, roof rack and all, driven by the older gentleman is steadily pulling away. As he quickly shifts into second gear thinking that this might be his problem he notices even more smoke forming around the rear of the older classic car. Tire smoke that is obviously not his is drifting into his lane. The rumble that he had heard at the red light has now turned in to a thunderous roar of power that is seemingly making the ground around him vibrate. He remembers his father telling him of such cars and in his father’s day they called them sleepers… could this be what he was encountering? As his speed grew even faster he noticed that the beautiful old Dart driven by the charming older gentleman had just left him and his whirring, tinny sounding car behind in smoke. And as the old car pulls away ….etched in the young man’s mind is the question….what is a Popmobile 440?

i36908.jpg
Popmobile 4.jpg

From the mind of @dartnabout
ReportBookmark

1936-ish Plymouth with LA 318 and 4 barrel at the 1/4 mile.

Ran 14.10 every single pass.

Won final versus 454 powered 1971 chevelle with big slicks and wheelie bars.

i had a VW passat several years ago, babypoop green, 4 door, factory wheels
all factory, except for several added gauges inside and some upgraded software
instead of the 5 PSI the turbo was set for at the factory, it spiked at 19 and held 17 all day long

that car took a few people by surprise

Riding home from work on a 2002 GSXR 1000 at 1 a.m. Cruising along at about 70, a very stock looking SN95era Mustang rolls up next to me and motioned that he wanted to play. Drop down into third gear (shoulda been 2nd) and hopped on it. Mustang passed me like I was chained to a tree. Hmmmm, lets try that again, from 25mph so I could used first gear...By the time I was in third he was so far in front of me all I saw was tail lights. I pulled off the freeway, he followed. Stopped to get gas, he followed. First experience with a forced induction motor....

Irwindale .. Mid 70s .. Usual practice was RWYB between rounds .. Anything from designated race cars to '63 VW Bugs. '71 Monte Carlo stages, black vinyl over white, steel wheels, hub caps, normal ride height, nothing unusual. Oh Boy, this ought to be like watching paint dry. Trees goes green, hardly a sound, Monte is gone like a shot. Scoreboard says 11.00. Driver has made his pass and gets right back in the staging lanes. Now he has our attention. Drives around the water box, stages the car, 11.02. :wtf: Next round of fuel cars make their runs, Monte is back at the line. Same procedure, another 11.00 and gets right back in the staging lanes. The guy running the tree has apparently noticed this also. Monte stages, starter goes over to the car and raps on the window, driver and starter converse for a moment, starter hands the controls to his assistant while the driver steps out of the Monte. The starter gets in, buckles his seat belts, gives his assistant a thumbs up :thumbsup: tree goes green 11.20. Starter drives right back to the starting line smiling from ear to ear :D. The driver just motors back to the pits nonchalantly. We found the Monte in the pits to take a look at it. 15x28s nicely hidden under the fenders, mufflers, stock interior, he would NOT let us look under the hood. :rofl:

When I was growing up the neighbor next door was into corvettes. He had both a 65 and a 67. His daily driver was a white 4 door 68 Biscane. What made the Biscayne a sleeper what the 375-hp Ramjet Fuel Injection engine he threw in it that was a spare for his 65. He took may people by surprise with it. It looked alot like this
1968-chevy-chevrolet-bel-air-4-door-283-engine-solid-body-mostly-original-2.jpg

Years ago at the street races, a guy started showing up on a single cylinder 400 or 500cc, (cant remember) enduro motorcycle. he looked like he just came from work. He wore a shop uniform, with a thermos and a wind breaker strapped on a rear rack. Every once and a while he would line up with someone and win. After a few different outings and seeing the same thing we started paying attention. We never saw this guy lose. After careful inspection one night we discovered that the thermos was in fact a small nitrous bottle. He did a great job camouflaging the whole set up. We kept our mouths shut had a laugh whenever he pulled to the line.

heres my current sleeper. 91 crown vic 347 stroker.

GV0X6r4.jpg

Heres a quick little acceleration vid, i gently rolled into it to preserve the tires

If I told anyone about it, it would not be a 'sleeper' anymore.............

The first time I ever raced my Duster was earlier this year. About my 4th pass after finding out my car was no where near as fast as I thought, I lined up next to a K car wagon. It was white with the wood stickers on the side and everything. I saw a 2.2 Turbo badge on the side but I still thought, "Finally I'll be win one!". This guy pulls off a 12.6 to my 16.4, and he did it consistently all night. Great guy and a great car, as I got a chance to meet him and chat later.

Cley

Back in the mid 80's there was a guy that showed up one night at the local 1/8 mile track.
This guy had a ford fairmont station wagon, complete down to no hubcaps and white wall tires, quiet exhaust.
The old wagon ran 7.00 in the 1/8 mile and did not make a sound.
He got everybody's attention.
Up close the guy had painted the white walls on a set of small slicks.
He would not open the hood, but my buddy a ford nut looked under it and said it was a big block ford from the oil pan.

This is my old sleeper from back in the 80s. It was my daily driver work truck. F-250 with a worked up 390, 4 speed and a 4.10 Dana limited slip rear. It used to pull mid 13 sec 1/4 mile runs just as you see it, all terrain 31x10.50 tires and all.

That was pretty damned fast back then and nobody expected a truck like that to be that quick!

I used to love turning on the yellow flashing light and tear down the track surprising the hell out of everyone.

F5F96CD1-E8C2-4D4C-857D-4482AE088264.jpeg

This is my old sleeper from back in the 80s. It was my daily driver work truck. F-250 with a worked up 390, 4 speed and a 4.10 Dana limited slip rear. It used to pull mid 13 sec 1/4 mile runs just as you see it, all terrain 31x10.50 tires and all.

That was pretty damned fast back then and nobody expected a truck like that to be that quick!

I used to love turning on the yellow flashing light and tear down the track surprising the hell out of everyone.

View attachment 1715217027

Please tell me you didn't speed shift that center mount 4 speed :rofl::rofl:First to second that is

I learned my lesson. Went for the big 1-2 shift in the ole f350 and spit the driveline right out on the ground. On greasy wet dirt to boot. Saw a tow truck do that at Irwindale once too. He was racing his co-worker in the other track tow truck :rofl:

If this car had a hood and tinted windows it would be the perfect sleeper. 750 hp at the wheels!

565519B1-73F2-44B9-B53A-F767BCEB1926.jpeg

-
Back