sliding axels in any tips.

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
I am now ready to install my axels in the 8 3/4.all new seals,gaskets,bearings.Any dos and donts about this,I would think its stright forward.Outher than packing the bearings witch is done,should i put extra grease in the houseing.:cheers:

I put some grease in the drive splines. make sure you put the right one in the right side if there is a difference, left hand lugs maybe ?

Wrap a piece of paper around the axle splines so you dont nick your seal. Once splines are past seal, slide paper back and off.

Grant

Do you pack rear axle bearings?? I've only ever packed fronts..rears I've just put in. I always thought your gear lube would take care of them. Never had any failures, but then again never kept anything long enough to know.

Ok guys there in no problims.As of now I do not have a dial indicator I have set my end play a tad,I can move the shaft in and out a tad but with out the right tool, adjusting it how much in and out by feel would work.

Yes you do pack rear axle bearings. The gear oil is for the 3rd member and gears. The axle bearings rely on grease, you gotta pack them, 8 3/4 rears have an inner and outer seal, which contains the gear lube in the axle.

Do you pack rear axle bearings?? I've only ever packed fronts..rears I've just put in. I always thought your gear lube would take care of them. Never had any failures, but then again never kept anything long enough to know.

Never depend on the gear oil to save the bearings. If it was the rear axle of a dump truck the bearings would be gone before it got off the lot.
Some guys will through a timing chain on dry expecting the oil to find it too.

I've upgraded my springs on my 70 Duster. The spring assembly has a positioning pin comming up thru the center of the spring. This pin is what my axle perches sits on. My question is this.. The perch has a square hole in the front, aprox 1" back is a round hole which is drilled in the center of the perch. Then aprox 1" back is another round hole making three total in the perch. Can I set my Axle & perch in any of the three holes ? Right now the pin is in the perch center hole. I would like to move my axle back 1" to run a larger tire. Is it safe to do this ?
Any feedback is welcomed.
Thanks

I am now ready to install my axels in the 8 3/4.all new seals,gaskets,bearings.Any dos and donts about this,I would think its stright forward.Outher than packing the bearings witch is done,should i put extra grease in the houseing.:cheers:

Most auto parts stores have a needle tube for greasing your bearings. It's like the needle you would use for airing up a basketball, but it has an end on it that will go into your grease gun. Use that to lube the axle bearings prior to installation. Also, get an empty toilet paper tube, cut it from side to side, slip it into the axle seal in the housing, then install the axle splines in past the tube and use it again for the other side. This will prevent nicking the seals with the splines during installation.

-
Back