Slight pull to the right

-

powerwagonpaul

Reaction score
My 71 valiant has started pulling to the right in the last week or so. it has always run straight and true up to this point. i looked under and cant find anything out of place. tire pressure is exactly 36psi on both sides. any ideas what i should look for?

Jack the front of the car up and make sure neither of the brakes are dragging.
If they are adjust them accordingly

If not go get a alignment.

If the alignment is okay it could still be your brakes and maybe a good honing is due.

Did you check the idler arm?

Any service history on the front end like recent bushings, tie rods, ball joints etc?

it has a bone yard steering box from an 80's new yorker(20k miles on that clock) i had to swap the idler arm. center link and pitman arm. did that about two years ago. it has always run straight and true. hit a hard dip about two weeks ago. about a week ago it started pulling to the right, not hard, but definatly pulling.
no drag from the brakes, no more pull when i step on the brakes, no noise, just a bit of a pull. its got me stumped.

I'm having a similar problem as well. I have a 1973 Plymouth scamp, I had put new tie rods, Tie rod adjustment sleeve, dish brake pads. it drive fine but when you hit a small pothole or a bumpy road it goes/hops slightly to the right (passager side). makes me feel like I'm losing control a little + you can feel the steering wheel tug very lightly to the right side. also I'm starting to hear a slight bump sound from the passager side.

maybe it could be a Wheel Bearing, a ball joint or something could have gotten loose or it might need a simple wheel alignment. I'll keep track of this topic, it interests me alot:toothy7:

My 71 valiant has started pulling to the right in the last week or so. it has always run straight and true up to this point. i looked under and cant find anything out of place. tire pressure is exactly 36psi on both sides. any ideas what i should look for?

Try switching the 2 front tires side to side and see if the pull/drift changes.....Sounds like a "radial pull" to me.

How about wheel bearings, have you checked those. Not likely that's the issue, but something to look at.

Try switching the 2 front tires side to side and see if the pull/drift changes.....Sounds like a "radial pull" to me.

Bingo!! a friend and i pulled it apart this morning, checked everything, then looked at the tires. left side front tire has a bulge around one side of the tread.:thumbdow: i will be taking it back to pepboys on tuesday.
thanks for all your sugestions

Bingo!! a friend and i pulled it apart this morning, checked everything, then looked at the tires. left side front tire has a bulge around one side of the tread.:thumbdow: i will be taking it back to pepboys on tuesday.
thanks for all your sugestions
They are going to tell you it's an impact bubble. This is caused from a pot hole hit hard enough to put a small tear in the inside lining of the tire. Air then escapes between the plies. The Caster may have also been knocked out of adjustment

-
Back