-

purpleheart0189

Reaction score
Need a fan that will clear pkz help
Motor is a 550hp 408 street strip car that radiator is a champion

Attachments

• image.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 233
You have 2.5 inches of room? Hard to tell in the pic. I use this one, chevy HHR fan, on my dart, it can be cut down some and the motor has a plastic piece on the back that can be trimmed off. Not sure how much it can be trimmed, is the water pump right in the middle of the radiator? I can take a look tomorrow.

Attachments

• 8110174-HHRFan.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 216
Your not gonna like my advice, but The first thing I would do is remove that electric water pump, install a mechanical fan and a proper shroud. Otherwise you are BEGGING for overheating issues..........JMO

I have 2 1/4 room and the water pump is in the center

That is very tight, is it just the small center of the wp that you have 2 1/4, how about to the rest of the motor? looks like 3 inches? any way to move the radiator forward to gain some room? I seem to remember someone else cutting the core support to move the radiator ahead.

2000-2004 Ford Focus, 2 fans and it's really thin right in the middle where the water pump snout would be.

Need a fan that will clear pkz help
Motor is a 550hp 408 street strip car that radiator is a champion

I have to agree with the post about pulling that pump and going with more conventional cooling methods (really, save yourself the trouble now)

Ok, now that we got that out of the way. :D
You'll probably have to end up using twin fans if you are dead set on electric, because I have NEVER seen anything capable of cooling a big block that was only 2.5 inches thick.

Two fans would give you a spot between them for that 2.5 clearance you have, and consider that you are going to need a shroud also.

Then, that kind of a shroud will almost assuredly block to much air at road speeds unless the fans are BIG so the volume needed at speed can get through the radiator and out the back in a hurry.

Take it or leave it, but a lot of us have been there.

Seems like a very marginal rad size for the HP. I hope it is at least 3 rows thick.

To move adequate air, the fans need to have a few inches of depth.... so I agree with the approach of 2 fans. But the rad needs to be a lot wider than that to get 2 fans spaced on either side of the pump and also overlap the core so they can properly draw through the rad core. So I am really thinking you need 3-4 smaller (but THICK) fans, 1 or 2 on either side of the pump housing.

The stock pump setup sure would be easier and be more straightforward.

Wjat i had that didnt cool crap was 2 champion fans with no shroud and it couldnt keep it cool at all the radiator is a 4 row also

Ill look into 2 better 10 inch fans

Spal #2052 might work depending on where that teet on the end of the pump lands.

Attachments

• 0625131824a.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 2052.pdf
    83 KB · Views: 83
I had limited room there too. I went with twin Spal fans. They suck a lot of amps, especially at start-up. i run two 40 amp relays to feed them. I also upgraded my electrical system to supply the amperage needed at idle. My new set-up puts out 115 amps at 850 rpm.

If I was to do it over, I'd run a clutch fan with shroud.

Don't know if you can even find these anymore. Made by Valley.
Model # 2616-08

The shrouds are 2-3/8" off the radiator fins. The pair covers all but the top 1" of the fins on the 26" radiator.

Attachments

• FanPair2.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 126
  • FanPair3.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 121
  • FanPair1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 127
-
Back