Slip yoke question

-

SwingerMan

Reaction score
Came across another issues (fun stuff) on my 727 swap. The trans is bolted in ready to go and I went to install the slip yoke that I purchased to get a final measurement on the driveshaft. Well the slip yoke will only go into the tail shaft of the trans about 3/4" and it hangs up. This yoke is supposedly for a 727 with the large U-joint my question is are there more than one slip yoke for the 727? Were there yokes with different number of splines? The yoke and its splines are in good shape it just won't slide all the way on. I am glad I love this car b/c it sure can be frustrating!

There are only 2 yokes for the 727. The one for the small 7260 U-joint and one for the large 7290 u-joint. There's only one spline count. Could the one you have be for a manual trans? I haven't worked on any manual trans. so I don't know what their spline count is but it sounds like there's a mismatch of splines.

Thanks for the info I was reading last night on the net and it looks like all 727 yokes are 30 splines. I must have a burred up spline on the yoke or tailshaft going to look at it again tonight.

I think you are on the right track with checking the splines to make sure everything looks good. The A833 (fine spline) and 727 both use the same size 30-spline yoke. Only difference is the large or small u-joint options.

I think you are on the right track with checking the splines to make sure everything looks good. The A833 (fine spline) and 727 both use the same size 30-spline yoke. Only difference is the large or small u-joint options.

Whats the other spline option on the A833?

There was a coarse (18-spline) HD or hemi unit (although I believe it was standard on the 440 six-packs as well, track-pak option, IIRC). May only apply to the input, never actually saw one. I believe those hemi 4 speeds also had some beefier internals as well, (larger bearings maybe?) but again, don't know the details.

It's not a newer style yoke is it?

As I understand it, a 727 yoke will fit the AODs (518/46/47/48/45 & 545RFE) but the AOD yokes won't properly fit the 727.

Ace- thanks for the info mine is definitely more than 18 splines I am going to count them tonight to verify how many it is.

superdart-I am unsure of what it is off of I purchased it off the net any way to tell just by looking at it? It does have some numbes cast into it but I don't have it with me at the moment.

the 18 spline refers to the input shaft on a 4 speed. either 18 or 23. i THINK that the hemi 4speed used a 30 spline output yoke as well

18 spline does refer to the Hemi input shaft. If the splines aren't even engaging you might have a 904 yoke. The 904 yokes are also available for the big (7290) u-joints.

18 spline does refer to the Hemi input shaft. If the splines aren't even engaging you might have a 904 yoke. The 904 yokes are also available for the big (7290) u-joints.

I don't think its a 904 yoke b/c I tired my old 904 yoke that I removed and its not the same diameter as the 727 input shaft.

I borrowed a 727 yoke from a friend and it went right on. I am not sure what yoke I was sold but its not for a 727. I am going to order a new one from Denny's Driveshaft on Monday thanks for all the ideas guys.

i got into this, i tried an older yoke on an overdrive it would not go looked the same but would only just start on splines,i think the splines are the same count just cut at diifferent angles,i got into a similar deal trying to swap late model planetarys into an older trans looked the same would not fit.hope this helps.

I recall hearing somehwere there is an oddball 4sp OD output shaft.

We have a winner! I found the gentleman I bought the yoke from and it turns out that it is from a newer van with a 518. Superdart you hit the nail on the head. Thanks again for everyones ideas.

It's not a newer style yoke is it?

As I understand it, a 727 yoke will fit the AODs (518/46/47/48/45 & 545RFE) but the AOD yokes won't properly fit the 727.

-
Back