SM Head Modifications on a budget

-
I kinda lose interest when the clay makes its first appearance. A 280-330 cfm Speedmaster needs less material, not more.
Touche. But a 260 cfm port like this needs some fill material. If I was grinding on a port and removed 4 cc of metal and my flow was basically unchanged, I would say that was a terrible porting mistake. I just put that metal back with clay.

If I was grinding on a port and removed 4 cc of metal and my flow was basically unchanged, I would say that was a terrible porting mistake. I just put that metal back with clay.

But to be accurate here, I don’t think you removed 4cc worth of material from the area where you added it in.

IMG_3630.jpeg

IMG_3631.jpeg

Last edited:
First word in my post is 'if'. I was making a point that the 4 cc of metal needs to be there in the first place if the port only flows 260.
I see nothing wrong with how you experiment, you seem more methodical than fly by the seat of your pants kind of guy, wrong/right that what your trying figure out.

I see nothing wrong with how you experiment, you seem more methodical than fly by the seat of your pants kind of guy, wrong/right that what your trying figure out.
Thanks 273. The clay is there for educational purposes, nothing else. It will continue to be used whenever I see the opportunity to learn something. Nice, non destructive, easily removable way to learn something you didn't know before.

@Earlie A , you do you. How else are you going to learn what works and what doesn't if you don't try? I for one appreciate the work you put in and share. I just hope you wear that t-shirt I sent you while you are playing around in the shop.... lol

Thanks 273. The clay is there for educational purposes, nothing else. It will continue to be used whenever I see the opportunity to learn something. Nice, non destructive, easily removable way to learn something you didn't know before.

Unless I can’t get paid to do it, I fill in the back of every guide. That dead area back there is just that. Dead space.

I learned a few months after I bought my bench that some of the head manufacturers were leaving the material out from behind the guide to increase the volume a bit.

You won’t find many competitive heads without the guide being filled in.

Well with predictions of rain tomorrow I won’t be laying in the mud so since my new 120 and 80 flex hones came I guess I can tube a head tomorrow and try them out. Looking forward to trying this 80 grit out.

IMG_3414.jpeg

Last edited:
Well with predictions of rain tomorrow I won’t be laying in the mud so since my new 120 and 80 flex hones came I guess I can tube a head tomorrow and try them out. Looking forward to trying this 80 grit out.

View attachment 1716269075
You are doing this to promote adhesion for the epoxy, correct? What size hole are you drilling? Something you may want to consider is running an undersize tap through such that it just forms a slight groove in the wall. That groove will provide a mechanical lock for the epoxy so that it will take significantly more force to shear the tube from the hole. We do this all the time when pillar bedding rifle stocks and its a common assembly technique in industry. The trick is finding a tap that is sized for what you need, though it isn't hard to grind one undersize or single point it in a milling machine. You still want to have the hole surface prepped properly using the hone or sand paper, but I always do the tap when I can for peace of mind.

@Earlie A , you do you. How else are you going to learn what works and what doesn't if you don't try? I for one appreciate the work you put in and share. I just hope you wear that t-shirt I sent you while you are playing around in the shop.... lol

And this is why I backed off. He will find out what it takes. I’ll graciously back away. Lol

No testing this morning. Saturday is work on my daughter's house day, so been playing carpenter all day.

As far as the posting, it is my sincere desire that no one backs off on the posting. We've had some good back and forth and exchanged a lot of good information. Sometimes we have different points of view. I'll stand up for mine as I expect others to do. No ill will here, just gratitude.

In fact, all the back and forth yesterday finally led to some aha moments. I've been searching for answers on 'why does flow stop increasing' and 'why does increasing the size of the pushrod pinch not always help'. Actually it was the conversation about clay, dead spots and Boosted's shirt that made a light bulb go off. More on that later. Time for some chicken casserole now.

The chicken casserole is just going in the oven, so I had a few minutes to kill. Here you go @Yellow Duster. Tested the stock almost square corner 1.6" Edelbrock exhaust valve vs the Edelbrock exhaust valve with a 1/16" radius on the face. As often is the case, surprising results. I really thought the radius would help at low lifts and have no effect at high lift. I have no thoughts on an explanation for this.

IMG_2833.jpg

IMG_2834.jpg

I really thought the radius would help at low lifts and have no effect at high lift. I have no thoughts on an explanation for this.

I can visualize the radius being problematic, depending on its overall shape.

How about a side pic of that valve?

The chicken casserole is just going in the oven, so I had a few minutes to kill. Here you go @Yellow Duster. Tested the stock almost square corner 1.6" Edelbrock exhaust valve vs the Edelbrock exhaust valve with a 1/16" radius on the face. As often is the case, surprising results. I really thought the radius would help at low lifts and have no effect at high lift. I have no thoughts on an explanation for this.

View attachment 1716269520

View attachment 1716269521

You are playing in the grey area.

You are talking about a change of less than 2% at the most.

Flow the thing backwards and see what you find.

All this testing is dandy but not being able to hear the test makes it all the harder to see if the changes are actually going to produce the expected results.

You are playing in the grey area.

You are talking about a change of less than 2% at the most.

Flow the thing backwards and see what you find.

All this testing is dandy but not being able to hear the test makes it all the harder to see if the changes are actually going to produce the expected results.
Yeah. I haven’t learned much about analyzing sounds yet. The intake slurps and the exhaust is loud. I know both of those are bad, lol.

-
Back