Small block bolt in cams ?

-

Mo-Par

Reaction score
Is there a list of bolt in cams for small blocks ? I am planning a street / strip 360 build using the stock heads and non adjustable valve train. From what I have seen most companys dont list if the cam is ground on a stock base circle. I was thinking Lunati voodoo / Comp xe / mopar performance.​

I like my MP purple cam 280-474 pulls hard from idle all the way up has about `10 inches of vacuum,using stock push rods and rockers.My build 360 20 over,LD340 intake,915 202 valve 340 heads,headers.727,323 gear.Holley 600,soon to be the 750 holley.

Thanks snake,how far (rpm) does it pull ? I have a performer rpm air gap w/650 cfm and am looking for one that will pull into the low to mid 6000 range.

When u say bolt in...r u asking what cams u can simply slide in and run without clearencing the guides for retainer clearence for the amount of lift, Or for the factory valve springs?...cause u can technically bolt in any cam, not to say it would run and not flatten all lobes and or hit pistons however.

Cams that will work with stock non adjustable rockers and fixed length push rods. Spring changes ok. Pistons will be speed pro flat tops with reliefs. Not looking to go above .525 lift.

Oh ok, well pretty much here's whats up...if u want the valves to be controlled properly by the cam at peak rpm, u need to have the correct pre load..'so check/measure for the correct length push rods and buy them'...however for yrs all of us at some point have just slid in that .509/.508 hyd cam in and threw caution to wind with no real issues...so that ur call. I myself would go ahead and measure for and buy the right length push rods to have the correct pre load so that I don't have floating valves or more 'lost in translation' power on ttop of this next issue ill mention..rocker ratio, they're lack of..since stamped rockers are really not 1.5 , and cams are advertised based on the 1.5 ratio in this case..
What I would do is this, we all know that those factory stamped arm are less than 1.5 ratio...so u lose lift, or should I say u get less than what the cam advertises....so I would shoot for a cam with the duration I wanted as well as lea and then try to compensate for the lift lost through the poor rocker ratio by picking a cam with about .020-.030 more lift than I would like, that way u end up where u wanna be. Just a thought

Lastly , how much u can lift the valve before it runs into the guide and or pinches the seals, better check that before going over .520+

I just put a .470 lift howards cam with a 104 intake centerline and 110 lsa. I got lucky and found boss 302 mustang pushrods on ebay that were 7.625 inches and got them for $40 shipped from crane cams! Also im using the magnum heads so its actually .501 lift lol but anyway i have stock springs on the heads still and they have a ton of clearance between the coils so even once the lifters pump up i should still have plenty of clearance. Wouldnt go much above .500 lift though with stock springs. What im gettin at is check ebay for parts cause you can get really lucky. So id say duration of your cam is gonna be based on your compression ratio and lift will be based on what your heads flow and where.

Thanks. I do understand all the other clearance issues that need addressed. I am really intrested if anyone has a list of cams ground on stock base circles.

The thing about "stock" push rods is great until.................

you end up with a pair of shaved heads or block, or someone who did a valve job and didn't properly adjust valve stem height................

i just put in a comp cam 20-222-3

not the most aggresive but im also using trick flow stock lentgh rods, but needed new springs. non adjustable rockers as well

highest lift that i found that can use stocker stuff, besides springs

dyno was also the highest output, and is a dual pattern

you can always use some adjustables off a 273. very cost effective. in fact, im using 273 valvetrain and factory 273 ball and cup pushrods on my 360 w/ a 484 lift.

You need to ask,for a new cam blank,If you can understand this.If you would apply,what your combos,andwhat you want it to do,would help immeasurably.I do understand,the ability to run a dead stock valvetrain,bypassing the bullshit.Done it myself.

Just get adjustable rockers so each rocker arm can be adjusted just right. Mopar makes a great engine but the no adjustment rocker arms wasn't part of the package

-
Back